Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Here at last

I'm back from my holiday, and managed to fit these into my suitcase.

Just got to get them installed this week.

Cheers

post-5-1095559608.jpg

cool dude did you have a good trip

a friend of mine just got back from San Fran today

cant wait to see it once they are in

I didn't declare them for GST...damn, must have slipped my mind.

I will get them put in by a professional, as I will put new bushings in at the same time, and also will need an alignment again once it is in.

Ryan, If your mate got in from San Francisco today, then he (or she) must have been on the same flight.

Right now I am poked, been up for effectively 36 hours...but want to get into a decent sleepong pattern so staying awake as long as possible.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Andrew

what brand are the springs?>

The H&R stamped on them really gives it away...

Good to see you back G-Unit - need to catch up sometime with some BMWCC stuff. See ya soon.

If you're staying up tonite, feel like a beer?

Gidday

Sorry, was out like a light at 7pm, it was as long as I could last.

Cheers

The car is being dropped off Friday to the BM Workshop for the fitting of the suspension, and bushings replaced etc.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

The car is being dropped off Friday to the BM Workshop for the fitting of the suspension, and bushings replaced etc.

Cheers

wicked - lets catch up saturday for a drive.

Andy, Gus and I had a comparison drive this afternoon on Lonely Track Drive in Albany. We compared our three cars, the suspension differences are as follows:

Andy's = Bilstein Sports Shocks, Jamex 40mm Sports Springs and urathane bushes

Gus's = Stock Shocks, Jamex 40mm Sports Springs and urathane bushes

Mine = Bilstein Sports shocks, H&R Sport Springs, newish stock rubber bushes and Racing Dynamics front strut bar.

All in all they handled pretty similarly and capably, as expected because of the stock shocks, Gus's car had a bit more roll, and was a bit 'bouncier'.

My front end was a bit more solid due to the strut bar, and this stopped the front end moving at all during hard cornering.

Also, my tyres are a bit stickier, so they helped my car hold on pretty well too. When driving Gus's car, I managed to easily light up the inside rear tyre in third gear when taking one left hand corner pretty hard.

What I need now is Gus's short shift (which is awesome) and Andy's racing seats. Also having a bit of horsepower at over 4,800 rpm's would be a great help (but that is on its way).

The best thing about the new suspension set up is the ability to take corners at twice the recommended road sign speeds and knowing that my car will just hold on. Also I noticed on the drive to Pauanui and back that corners I previously had to brake on, didn't feel like they existed anymore, it was just a case of point and shoot at the corners and bodyroll and a twitchy rear end were a thing of the past.

The set up is not too stiff or harsh either, it is certainly a bit stiffer than before on the general open road, but it is still comfortable enough.

Andy, Gus - did I sum this up ok, add any comments and observations you guys had.

Cheers

im just wondering, what is the ride height of each of your guys cars?

take a tape measurement of say the ground to the top of the front indicator.

did the heightest car vs the lowest compare to body roll???

grant, with the strut brace fitted, on the open road; does yors feel more solid?

i noticed with mine, it feels alot more stiffer with on the straight. esp when you first enter a corner, it feels, great :mosh: :thumb:

Edited by bumpstop325

Proper way to measure ride height is from the centre of the rim to the top of the wheel arch, that way tire size doesn't matter.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say earlier.

My old shocks were completely worn out, and they have since been thrown away. Also my rear shock mounts had disintegrated. This would explain why my car behaved so badly on Pukekohe at the track day a couple of weeks ago.

The difference now is almost beyond words.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

im just wondering, what is the ride height of each of your guys cars?

take a tape measurement of say the ground to the top of the front indicator.

did the heightest car vs the lowest compare to body roll???

grant, with the strut brace fitted, on the open road; does yors feel more solid?

i noticed with mine, it feels alot more stiffer with on the straight. esp when you first enter a corner, it feels, great :mosh: :thumb:

Ride height isn't comparable to body roll for a start. All our cars roll quite a bit (as they are meant to).

i was more after a measurement off the ground.

Ride height isn't comparable to body roll for a start. All our cars roll quite a bit (as they are meant to).

when i lowered my car. the body roll of mine was cut in half. it didnt feel like a bath tub gong around the corner at high speed. i found that when i lowered it. the sway bar loaded up more. so when i went round the corner it was already stiffer, than at normal height.

compared to a 4x4. higher c.o.g off the ground = more roll on the same speed into the corner.

i do realise that it depends on sway bar, springs, shocks and the c.o.g of the car. esp the driver and the constincy in testing. there would be to many varibles to make a statement like that.

physics 101. lower the c.o.g the less change in angle blah blah blah.

when i lowered my car. the body roll of mine was cut in half.

The stiffer springs would be the main reason for that.

What springs are you running, and why would you want to go even softer than standard? Dam Tim, you must be bottoming out everywhere.

Guest Andrew

Proper way to measure ride height is from the centre of the rim to the top of the wheel arch, that way tire size doesn't matter.

That doesn't work either.. prefacelift e30s have higher wheel arches at the rear.

Tim - ours don't body roll much at all.. Mine feels like it rolls enough to pull all -1.5 deg of camber at the rear flat.

Like I said in another thread - past a certain point - e30s start to roll around a little more.

Just got a wheel alignment done, after getting the suspension installed.

I was interested as to how the new suspension, and the slight lowering (35mm or so) of my car would affect the camber etc, and to see if I was still within the factory tolerences.

The tolerances are as follows:

Front camber = -0.17 degrees to -1.17 degrees

Front Caster = 9.00 degrees to 8.00 degrees

Front Toe = 1.4mm to 2.4mm

Total Front Toe = 2.8mm to 4.9mm

Steer Ahead = -.05 dgrees to .05 degrees

Rear Camber = -1.50 degrees to -2.50 degrees

Rear Toe = -0.9mm to 5.5mm

Total Toe = 3.2mm to 6.1mm

Thrust Angle = -0.25 degrees to 0.25 degrees

My Results were as follows (Left...Right)

Front Camber = -1.69 ...-1.66

Front Caster = 7.99...8.39

Front Toe = 1.8mm...2.0mm

Total Toe = 3.8mm

Steer Ahead = -0.01 degree

Rear Camber = -1.52...-1.24

Rear Toe = 2.0...4.1

Total Toe = 6.2mm

Thrust Angle = -0.08 degree

Therefore the suspension has pushed a few of the aspects out of the factory tolerences, but only marginally. The biggest one is the front cabmer which is slightly more negative than it should be (but not enough to cause any issue).

Cheers

where abouts did u got your wheel alignment

i need to put myn in for one asap

Newmarket Tyre Services on Carlton Gore Road. They are pretty good (I should know, it is my third alignment in under 6 months...don't ask!!!)