Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Auckland to Opotiki

I have to drive to Opotiki on Friday/Saturday, and wondering if some who have been in that area can advise the quickest route?

I have to be there by around midday on Saturday and have all day Friday plus Saturday morning to get there from Auckland.

The plan is to stop somewhere only a couple of hours from Opotiki on Friday night to split up the driving and allow some time to spend just chilling out. I want the quickest route so I spend less time driving and more time kicking back, but would be happy for a slight detour to end up somewhere cool for Friday night.

The proposed plan I have at the moment is SH2 to Tauranga and spend the night in Tauranga or the Mount.

Then continue SH2 to Opotiki.

Any better/other suggestions? Also any better suggestions of somewhere to stay other than the mount? Preferrably somewhere with a beach. In fact I like the idea of a campsite on the beach as I can just fire the tent in the boot, and just sit on the beach with a box of beer. Or if anyone in the area doesn't mind me and Keiti camping on your front lawn/lounge/spare room???

PS I'm not fussed about good "driving" roads, I think after 3hours drive to Auckland from Kerikeri on Thursday, going all the way to Opotiki Friday/Saturday, and then doing the reverse Sunday/Monday, I'll be happy to get there the quickest way possible.

Edited by bravo

IMHO the quickest way to go is down SH1 to Ohinewai turnoff, then follow that through to Morrinsville, then Matamata, then Tauranga. There is heaps less traffic, and you miss the big queue's on SH27, plus the advantage of pretty good driviing road between SH1 and Ohinewai.

f it was me i would go straight throgh to Opotiki....then you have extra time there for(in the scheme of things) a small ammount extra driving on friday.....unless of course you dont want to spend MORE time in Opotiki :)

What is the driving time direct? (from Auckland).

Guest Simon*

What is the driving time direct? (from Auckland).

Chuck start and finish point in google maps and subtract at least 20%

And what route would you suggest driving direct?

Guest Simon*

And what route would you suggest driving direct?

Well I'd assume they give you the most direct (ie shortest) route via major roads. Gmaps link

Approx 360kms from Harbour Bridge

True, but locals may know better, esp. since it's still holiday season.

220km from Auckland to Tauranga and about another 100km to Opotiki. 3.5-4 hours depending on traffic.

Using SH27 through Matamata is an equally easy drive and has more passing opportunites. If you do that route on the way down, then you get to rip up the Kaimai Ranges which is always great fun in a BMW. Going down them isn't as much fun.

Then I'd come back via SH2 through Waihi and Paeroa as the drive through Karangahake gorge is nice.

Simon's route is technically the easiest and probably the fastest route too.

Edited by Cain

IMHO the quickest way to go is down SH1 to Ohinewai turnoff, then follow that through to Morrinsville, then Matamata, then Tauranga. There is heaps less traffic, and you miss the big queue's on SH27, plus the advantage of pretty good driviing road between SH1 and Ohinewai.

Did that - great tip - wide, smooth road between SH 1 and morrinsville - zero traffic, zero cops, the odd twisty bit to liven things up. Tried to hang on to the back of a motorcycle out for a strop and failed. Decided to give up before I ran out of talent or got a ticket.

Also, gained a bit of knowledge of those roads which was great when came across an accident just north of the Coromandel turnoff on SH 2. Doubled back about 500m and cut across to Te Kauwhata and back up SH 1 and avoided being stuck for hours.

Cheers.

Using SH27 through Matamata is an equally easy drive and has more passing opportunites. If you do that route on the way down, then you get to rip up the Kaimai Ranges which is always great fun in a BMW. Going down them isn't as much fun.

Then I'd come back via SH2 through Waihi and Paeroa as the drive through Karangahake gorge is nice.

Matamata = great place with really good stop for lunch.

I wish I'd read the bit about downhill on the Kaimais not being so fun. Somehow missed that - going up was awesome, sitting in a queue behind a truck on the way down = FTL.

Drove to Ohope beach on first day as wanted to kick back at a decent beach, and then it was half an hour to Opotiki the next day. One of the better drives I've done for awhile with only the bit either side of Tauranga being not so good.

Then came back up SH 2 as suggested. Stopped at the pub at the gorge. Gorge was a slight let down due to traffic and SH 2 was fairly full due to it being sunday (holiday traffic), but was certainly a painless drive (esp hungover), and I'd go that way if I was after a directish route next time. The way down was definitely the more fun route.

Decided to stop in Waiwera on the way back for the night as sick of staying in Auckland, and hadn't hit the pools for years. Then detoured back through Mangawhai Heads and Waipu Cove on the way back up north today, with Northlands twisties still holding a place in my heart - unbeatable.

1500kms over 4 days in the e30 = great weekend.

Edited by bravo

Jusy did 3200k's or so over the past 16 days, went through all these areas. I love Michelins and e30's together.

Hope the poor e30 isn't covered in tar. Drove through there last week when it was 30 degrees and there were literally pools of tar on the road.

Yeah it was pretty hot (OBC reckoned 31°C at one stage!) But managed to avoid the tar pits. Unlike those stupid dinosaurs.