Sign in to follow this  
Wom

Overheating again :(

On the weekend just been, I went to my mates wedding.

About 5 minutes away from the venue I was waiting at a red light for at least 5 minutes.

When it finally turned green I went to take off but the car had almost no power and got up to speed very slowly.

I look down at the dash to see if any lights had come on ... the temp gauge is right up in the red !!!

So I cranked up the heater, pulled over and let it cool down a bit.

After about 10 minutes I started to check a few things out and noticed that the fan is moving freely.

I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure from my experiences with overheating cars (I seem to be cursed) that the fan should not be moving freely when the car is warm.

But that's as far as my knowledge goes.

What would cause this to happen?

And is it an easy issue to fix?

Car details are:

E36 323i

M52 engine

Auto

Viscous coupling

Waterpump impellor has come off

Thermostat

These are the three things that need checking if there are no leaks

Viscous coupling

Thermostat

Sorry to hijack...

Glenn would this be the same with the m52b28? I literally had the same thing happen to me last night in my mums 1996 328i e36 touring - no sign of leaks, oil looked ok, coolant looked ok and wasn't bubbling.

Also the car just had an inspection II at jeff gray - should these thing have been checked and should i be ringing them to sort it??

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack...

Glenn would this be the same with the m52b28? I literally had the same thing happen to me last night in my mums 1996 328i e36 touring - no sign of leaks, oil looked ok, coolant looked ok and wasn't bubbling.

Also the car just had an inspection II at jeff gray - should these thing have been checked and should i be ringing them to sort it??

Thanks.

Probably the same problem. But you cant see it on a service. The fan you can check. But thermostat and waterpump would have to be removed and checked. For god sake...dont drive it anymore....get it sorted

Probably the same problem. But you cant see it on a service. The fan you can check. But thermostat and waterpump would have to be removed and checked. For god sake...dont drive it anymore....get it sorted

Cheers Glenn, the car won't be going anywhere unless its on the back of a truck! Luckily i was 2mins away from home so let it cool down and then drove it home. The only problem is my mum doesn't get back to NZ for another 2 weeks - will it be ok to leave it at home till then or should i be getting it sorted asap?

Also jsut spoke to Jeff Gray, they said waterpump or thermostat, and would probably cost around the $600 mark, that sounds about right to me?? $300 odd for the pump and about the same in labour. Also if the waterpump needs to be done is there anything else we should be doing at the same time?

Thanks again.

Cheers Glenn, the car won't be going anywhere unless its on the back of a truck! Luckily i was 2mins away from home so let it cool down and then drove it home. The only problem is my mum doesn't get back to NZ for another 2 weeks - will it be ok to leave it at home till then or should i be getting it sorted asap?

Also jsut spoke to Jeff Gray, they said waterpump or thermostat, and would probably cost around the $600 mark, that sounds about right to me?? $300 odd for the pump and about the same in labour. Also if the waterpump needs to be done is there anything else we should be doing at the same time?

Thanks again.

With the overheat...I would also replace the thermostat, check hoses, radiator etc. And on this model...change the heater inlet hose that comes off the back of the head. They are prone to bursting.

Same thing happened to my mums 328 when i was driving it, within a few seconds the temp shot up into the red, i turned on the heater and there was no heat so i knew it was either water pump or thermostat. Turned out to be the waterpump, they have crappy plastic impellers. I think you can replace them with a metal one from a m50 though.

Viscous coupling

Thermostat

cheers for the reply

yea no leaks and didn't use any water / coolant

gonna drop it off to the mechanics today

Viscous coupling

Thermostat

update on the car ... it ended up being the viscous coupling