Sign in to follow this  
arcon

E46 tyres, R17

i need 2 new front tyres for my 320i, 225 45 (i think..) R17. i was using Nankang NS-1s but i'm told they're not made anymore... anyway i found them quite noisy. one of my rears is a roadstone N3000 but 'cause i only have one i can't really judge the noise... i'm after a high-performance tyre that's not too noisy if that's possible... would prefer to keep the budget under 250/tyre. any recommendations would be great :) btw i work in barrys point road in takapuna so hopefully there's a place there that sells them.

I put a couple of Toyo Proxes on the front of my 330ci and are very happy with them - quiet and smooth thus far. Once the rears are done, I'll replace them with Toyos as well. I think they were around $250 each at Tyrepower.

Yup - Made in Japan according to the sidewall. I was recommended them by Ross at BM Workshop in East Tamaki - and so far he was dead on the money.

There are quite a few guys on here using Nexen as well. If you search the forum you will find a few topics. I would rate them up with the Toyo PX4's. We import them directly so can offer you a very sharp deal. We also have all the other major brands, let me k now if you would like us to quote some prices for you.

cheers

Johno

i've just been quoted $250 per tyre (inc fitting & balancing) for Toyo T1R tyres.... is this a good deal...? also is this a reasonably quiet tyre..? i was quoted about 750 each for michelin pilot sport 2s so i guess they're out of the question lol.

i've just been quoted $250 per tyre (inc fitting & balancing) for Toyo T1R tyres.... is this a good deal...? also is this a reasonably quiet tyre..? i was quoted about 750 each for michelin pilot sport 2s so i guess they're out of the question lol.

Haha - precisely the question I was asking myself in December! Yep - I paid around $250 for mine (mine are Proxes CT01 - not the Proxes T1R), and was quoted around $700 for the Michelins (guy asked me if I was sitting down first!). No brainer in my book and I think it was OK value for money (not a super sharp deal, but not gouged either).

I have found them (and Toyos on a previous Golf) to be pretty good tyres really and these ones are as quiet as I need (no obvious road noise increase over the Michelins they replaced). Certainly no negative comments from me for any of the Toyos I have owned.

From memory, one of the reasons Ross recommended them was that they (CT01 not the T1R) are non-directional and can be swapped on the wheel (I'm told the E46 runs a slight camber on the rear as standard which tends to chew the inside edge of rear tyres first). Basically means you can rotate them properly and get longer life than some of the directional tyres. Haven't had any problems with grip but then again I don't drive it hard.

I'm sure Johno can elaborate on this. I think someone on here was getting Bridestone Potenza's (also very good tyres for everyday use) for around the same sort of money as well and Johno has offered you a sharp deal on some Nexens (presumably less than $250).

Good luck! Be interested in your feedback once you have it sorted.

I'm running 225 /45 /17 Nexens on 8" rims with my 318TI M52B28 which I do tend to drive reasonably hard (at times) The tyres are quieter than my pevious Direzza's and the wet / dry performance is great. I would highly recommend the Nexens. I can buy 2 sets of Nexens for the price of one set of Direzza's. Yet to determine tyre life though...only been on for about 1000km. My Direzzas lasted 22,000km and I'm running reasonable negative camber front & rear about 3 degrees from memory. I'm also running new Bilsteins & good springs which also help.

Edited by *Glenn*

Im running Hankook 225/45 R17 and 245/45 R17 on my E46 252 Ci Coupe.

Cam e with car.

they are very quiet on road. but the side walls are a bit soft easy to take chuncks out if you curb them....

did have pirelli P6000s on E36323coupe they were great.

Geoffs