Sign in to follow this  
BM WORLD

whats a good track tyre thats road legal

anyone have opinions on whats good value and what sort of millage etc you can get on them . will be 225/50-16" or maybe i buy some 17" alloys then go 225/45-17 or so .

will just be on a spare set of alloys i can use on track days etc .

for my e28

Brent, i've just bought a set of Toyo RA1's, supposedly the best general track tyre you can get that's road legal. Got them direct from Nationwide Tyres, the toyo importers, for $780 delivered.

Brent, i've just bought a set of Toyo RA1's, supposedly the best general track tyre you can get that's road legal. Got them direct from Nationwide Tyres, the toyo importers, for $780 delivered.

RA1's are more of a "wet" tyre from what I have read.

I got a set of r888's, many good review on youtube and they seem to be the "bees knees" when it comes to road legal track tires. I think they are the compulsory tire for the e30 series??

They are not cheap though, I got my set (235/45/17 x4) for $1200 and that was mates rates.

Brilliant grip, managed to shave 2 seconds off my best lap time with these.

No idea about mileage, however they won't last as long as your average road tire as the compound is much softer.

Edited by crazyarab

Yeah, we use r888's, but as an all round tyre with some wet use I've been told the RA1 is a better tyre, even tho Toyo no longer produce them. They do still have a few left here tho I believe. The R888 is a bit grippier I think, but that has a downside in that it's a bit softer and wears a bit more. The RX7's used the RA1 until they were no longer available, and the poms also used them in their series in the early days. Mr E30 series over here, Mark Babb, reckons they're very good, and that's good enough for me.

any tyre dealers here that can help. :D

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Hankook Z211 road legal semi slicks come in medium and hard and seem pretty good, i got a set for the rear for $360 inc GST which was cost price for me from a retail tire shop.

( probally seems a bit expensive compared to how cheap David got his set of tires for )

Can't comment for them on the track but hell do they stick to the road in wet and dry on all kinds of surfaces.