Sign in to follow this  
arros

What's it worth: e39 540 motorsport

This thread previously talked about Jap having higher spec than NZ New- this car has no TV screen- just the radio and tape player where the TV would be in a higher spec example- example of the NZ lower spec of features (?)

Nz new didnt come with tv/sat nav untill 02/03, where bmw where the first to offer it, but in Jap land it was already on offer, thats why you see early e39's with it from Japan not a question of spec levels, and the (halo lights /face lift)didnt come on NZ models till mid to late 01 but were in 00 models from japan. you will also find the wing mirrors are slightly different , the grill and the front fog lamps

post-122-1232429698_thumb.jpg

post-122-1232429640_thumb.jpg

post-122-1232429197_thumb.jpg

Or just get a V8 with half the amount of doors

post-122-1232430962_thumb.jpg

Edited by beemn

Allan and Nick021: to update you: nothing has happened- I'm still waiting- expected the owner back from overseas in the weekend still no contact. Through the third party the owner communicated that he does not want to have the car inspected- says it's a good car- he's had it serviced recently, he can't be bothered with getting it checked and he will just wait for someone who doesn't want it checked, with the dosh to buy it. When I fairst looked it over it showed signs of having been fairly well cared for. There is the possibly of dealing without an inspection- as long as I can see his recent (through his own garage) service documents and have aother look at it. Question is is this a "there's someting I know is wrong and I don't want buyers to find out" kind of bothered or " I'm busy, I know it's a straight car and I just want it sold" kind of bothered. I did have an Inspection 2 about 15 months ago- but that was 20K km ago- a bit could have happened in that time- like another Inspect 2 due (at $700- yiks!).

Even bringing a BMW mechanic along for the ride probably wouldn't be much use- really you do need it up on a hoist and have is plugged into a diagnostic computer.

Surposedly you press the accelerator to the floor 5 times with the key switched on to accessories(?) to get the diagnostic light scome up- I tried it with no success on my e34- anyone successfully used this method?

Nick021- have you had any response form your email(s)?

Arros,

Im pretty sure Ive said this before but dont be seduced by the price. Yes its cheap but it could be cheap for a very good reason. There are dozens of 540's for sale out there and you need to find one with a seller who has nothing to hide.

It may well be that this one is sweet but the seller is not making it an easy decision for you.

The real question is probably 'are you willing to pay less with the possibility of spending a couple of grand in repairs' or would you rather pay a little more to a seller who answers your questions openly, is happy to help with a pre purchase inspection and a car that doesnt raise the questions that this one has.

post-122-1232429698_thumb.jpg

post-122-1232429197_thumb.jpg

Or just get a V8 with half the amount of doors

post-122-1232430962_thumb.jpg

You have a frikkin e92 M3! Pic's!

btw, that imola red e39 is hott.

Nick021- have you had any response form your email(s)?

No response, still. Little things like that tell me the seller is either completely lazy or is hiding something. I don't have time for messing around.

But by the looks of the car in the photos and with regards to the price it looks very nice. Its just ashame the owner isn't overly keen to communicate. Although who would really want to sell their 540! B)

I haven't read over the whole thread again to see what has been said but don't jump into anything. A good example can not have any problems during ownership, but an unloved example can be a complete pain to you and your wallet. E39's can have some very expensive things go wrong, one example, the cooling system around 100k is notorious for going.

One thing I've picked up from my fathers e39 540 over his ownership of the car is that a mechanical warranty is worth its weight in gold. Had a few things go and the warranty paid for itself first problem.

Good luck with the car mate, as I said it looks bloody nice.

Guest Simon*

I agree with Martyn

Don't let this guy d*ck you around with regards to pre-purchase inspections. It's only fair that you ask for one (common sense these days) and if he won't play the game, tell him thanks but no thanks and move on to the next car. It's a buyer's market so I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind later on.

What kind of idiot puts his car up for sale, disappears overseas and then blocks genuine interest in its sale?

Yes you are all right- tis a buyer's market- am keen on the car but have a nagging doubt. Reckon it might be time to move on and wait for the guy to get back to me re inspection- i'm the customer after all.