Sign in to follow this  
nordschleife

E39 M5 v E46 M3

M5 wins hands down. A 5 is always better than a 3.

Haha steady on.

Is it silver with the Schnitzer wheels?

Blue with Polizei written on it...

Posted Image

Guest Simon*

Blue with Polizei written on it...

Posted Image

That's the one! Didn't he have several radar detectors, jammers, scanners (look at all those freakin' aerials!), etc too?

That's the one! Didn't he have several radar detectors, jammers, scanners (look at all those freakin' aerials!), etc too?

Sure does. He pulled over a Lamborghini competitor at night during the Gumball as joke, its on YT also.

Posted Image

Edited by Quailboy

When he did New York - LA, he also had a spotter plane, and night vision. This is a guy who takes speeding seriously :lol:

Edited by antony

Holy sh*t that's so cool! I want one!

Funny seeing this thread as lately I've decided instead of buying a e36 m3 I'd try save a little longer and get a e46 m3, than after seeing a few e39 m5's that got me thinking again. But I've decided it would more than likely be a M3 because I've always been a fan of its looks and its newer plus its likely easier to mod, those are pretty much my reasons anyway.

Well I have never driven a M5,but it would be hard to top the drive i had in my M3 over the Rimutaka's at the weekend,it was incredible fun!

It is times like that i wonder why on earth i am selling it!

There is nothing funnier then driving at 5/10th's and someone in a regular car that is trying to stay in front of you having to drive at 9/10ths.

I have owned a lot of performance cars but they dont come close to the overall package that the M3 represents.

Well I have never driven a M5,but it would be hard to top the drive i had in my M3 over the Rimutaka's at the weekend,it was incredible fun!

It is times like that i wonder why on earth i am selling it!

There is nothing funnier then driving at 5/10th's and someone in a regular car that is trying to stay in front of you having to drive at 9/10ths.

I have owned a lot of performance cars but they dont come close to the overall package that the M3 represents.

Which M3 is your one? Do you have a link to the ad?

My old man once owned a E34 M5 (genuine) imported from UK and that's the reason I love BMs, I say genuine because alot of people stick a "M" badge on the back or put a kit on it and call it an M. His was the real deal very rear in nz much harder to find than a genuine M3 anyway they look Great sound awesome can go from city to highway and back and never feel out of place they are a real wolf in sheeps clothing not many people realize Just how quick they are not to mention reliable! If it was my choice I would go for the M5 all day

Guest Spottswoode

Ideally, I'd have both.

But, I like to play golf and cruise with the boys, so M5 it is.

Hi there here is the link,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-199594230.htm

Come to think of it i think i have seen you on the watchlist a few times lol!

Cheers,

Rob.

Yep, I've pretty much got every M3 on TM saved to my watchlist so that i can keep track of price movements etc.

Several of them have been for sale for over 12 months and many have dropped in price significantly since their first listing so I've got a pretty good idea of what the market price is.

Interestingly, 12 months ago an Audi S4 V8 was far more expensive than an M3 but now quite the opposite is the case. Could it be that M3s are set to take another price drop? - there are more for sale now than there has been for a long time.

By the way, the $38k M5 that someone posted a link to earlier in this thread has since been sold - apparently a previous owner bought it back!

Just out of interest, what's the maintenance like for the M5? Does the clutch need to be replaced every 20K kms?

AFAIK, M cars have a different maintenance schedule. How much different is this compared to the non-M cars?

Cheers.

if you need to replace the clutch every 20 ks,you dont deserve an M5,or you are caning it from every start and dont care that the clutch wont last.Go to E39 m5 .com...

if you need to replace the clutch every 20 ks,you dont deserve an M5,or you are caning it from every start and dont care that the clutch wont last.Go to E39 m5 .com...

I agree, doesn't sound right at all. Being an M5 it would have a heavy duty clutch so should last around the same time as a normal E39 etc.

Wonder if Glenn can chime in? I'm not sure hence asking as I was led to believe that they have different maintenance schedules and require significantly more $$ to maintain.

Wonder if Glenn can chime in? I'm not sure hence asking as I was led to believe that they have different maintenance schedules and require significantly more $$ to maintain.

Different maintenane schedules yes but just with servicing, i.e might get coolant/brake fluid earlier than the normal bimmers etc. I only service my own BMW so yes Glenn might shed some light for you.

I agree, doesn't sound right at all. Being an M5 it would have a heavy duty clutch so should last around the same time as a normal E39 etc.

the cluthes may not actually be as robust as they could be but not 20 k=gone.If you "abuse" them i think you could wear them out quicly,as the M5 is a heavy car with lots of grip anf lots of torque.

I think the information I have been given has been somewhat misleading.

Had a look on M5Board.com. some have had original clutches for 70K miles! So i suppose its entire how the car is driven.

Good time to draw down on the mortgage and get an M5? :D