Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

new build won't run

Guest FrantiC

Threw in a 2.7i build today. Runs Motronic 1.3 with all sensors.

It's all hooked up as far as I can tell, Only issue is that it CRANKS but it gets no fuel and no spark. From what I have figured out, There is no signal going to fuel relays, everything is plugged in - Not 100% sure if everything is plugged in properly though but I have switched around the 2 plugs on the loom where the #6 inductive and Crank angle sensor plug in but gained nothing.

Any ideas? Troubleshooting tips, Or likely causes? I am thinking bad ECU at the moment, Or bad Crank angle sensor.

is the engine grounded with the grounding strap?

make sure the Crank sensor and the rpm sensor are the correct way around, you should have labelled these before taking the loom off

check everything is plugged in first...if it ran with the 2.5 it should run with the new engine

outta curiosity, how did you build it?

Guest FrantiC

is the engine grounded with the grounding strap?

make sure the Crank sensor and the rpm sensor are the correct way around, you should have labelled these before taking the loom off

check everything is plugged in first...if it ran with the 2.5 it should run with the new engine

outta curiosity, how did you build it?

It's actually a 320i (the car) which I chucked a L-jet motor in. So had an L-jet ECU and old 320i motor with dizzy out the side.

So I had to buy a new loom and ECU. I have already tried switching around the crank sensor and #6 inductive sensors, so even If I did plug them in wrong way around it should have worked when I changed it.

Engine strap is there and good.

It is just a 2.7 ETA bottom with 325i head / intake / exhaust and everything to run it with motronic 1.3 "164" ECU.

Edited by FrantiC

Guest FrantiC

Problem solved........ The wires to the Crank sensor were severed under the protective covering.

Now she runs, Just got to sort out the alternator belt from squealing and yay :D

Edited by FrantiC

Guest FrantiC

Cut by the water pump pulley I guess ?? right ?

Nope, I've never used it and the engine never ran. Got it from Ray.

It was under that plastic shielding thing so it didn't look like anything was wrong until you remove it and see the wires cut, So I don't blame him if he thought it was good.