Sign in to follow this  
h8hytz

e34 Overheating..

run into a new problem with my bmw,

it has now all of a sudden started to overheat, there is no apparent water leaking from anywhere,theres still water in the side of radiator, yesterday when it happend overheated to full hot temp car started steaming from under the bonnet, loss of power in the pedal, so turned the car off let it cool down a bit, opend bonnet water boiling/bubbling in the side radiator tank

left it overnight, drove it next morning 300m up the road & hit full temp again, overheating, turned heater to hot full blast didnt do anything,

now i did a few searches, & got off them a few possibles causes:

Thermostat staying closed?

viscous coupling?

waterpump? (but im thinkn it could only be this if water was leaking)

air bubbles in the cooling system?

its a e34 520i

any ideas on what it sounds like,

cause all the searches i came up with were for other model bmws so not sure if its the same fix for mine esp. since i dont know where to start. on these cars.

if it is the thermostat staying closed when its hot one radaitor pipe will be hot and the other will be stone cold.

this sounds like the most likely cause to me.

If it got that hot, sorry to say it but you may be in serious trouble.

Problems which it could be..

Waterpump - doesnt have to be leaking for it not to be working, might be a plastic impeller water pump. They usually break.

Thermostat - possibly broken

Radiator - blocked restricting flow

Viscous Fan - worn, not cooling engine down

Airlock - could be possible - had it been losing any water in the previous weeks prior/ or had the cooling system been drained and refilled?

Blown head gasket - if it hasn't already expect it soon, they don't take too kindly to high temperatures and that much pressure buildup. Oil in the radiator (milky looking stuff or on the dipstick?)

Cracked/warped head - there is a chance the head could have cracked/warped after it has over heated this badly.

Advice - STOP driving it you may be able to salvage the engine before you cook it completely. Get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing. Otherwise expect to start selling the car in parts or a replacement engine.

What model engine is it? M20 (single cam) m50 (twin cam)?

Advice - STOP driving it you may be able to salvage the engine before you cook it completely. Get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing. Otherwise expect to start selling the car in parts or a replacement engine.

What model engine is it? M20 (single cam) m50 (twin cam)?

Thats exactly what I was going to ask him (what engine) and Lance is right... Dont Drive It.... get it checked out

Thats exactly what I was going to ask him (what engine) and Lance is right... Dont Drive It.... get it checked out

its the m20

its the m20

Not liking your chances so far. M20's are notorious for warping and cracking when over heated. Take it to someone who knows what they are doing?? Where in the country are you?

im in auckland

Talk nicely to Glenn (BotanyMotorWorx), he would be the best one to look after you. There are alot of muppet workshops out there.