Sign in to follow this  
cainchapman

318i Touring Car

At night swinging onto Conrod. A few hours before being run into by the Monaro which then went on to win.

post-9-1096246740.jpg

Guest Spargo

Awesome. Best car on the site (heh)

Massive rear tuck AND camber, I love it.

S42 powered, correct? What sort of power did you have it making for the race? 280-310hp?

Here's another at the 2003 Skope Classic.

The best collection of racing BMW's are in the SI tour.

For the endurance races we are running closer to 280hp than 300hp. This way we can run the entire Suthern Festival of Speed on one motor rebuild. (Assuming we don't blow it)

A 2.5l motor is being built as the S42 blocks cost a squillion bucks each.

It is frighteningly fast and sounds awesome screaming toward you. There is also the ex-Burns Diet Coke E30 M3 down there, which is the sexiest sounding car in the country.

post-9-1096247769.jpg

Not mine, unfortunately. They are my Uncle & Aunties cars. We have a pair of these. 1 1992 and 1 1993. Before we left for Europe and Aus, we worked on the pit crew. Deb in charge of driver chages and me on the Pi dash and diagnosis of electronic problems.

A pair of these Fiat Arbarth X1/9's too. These are cool fun to drive. I'll get Deb to scan in a picture of the Ferrari's too.

10 years ago, you might remember a Testarossa meeting a power pole in the Targa. Have got the footage on VHS, if someone knows how to get it on the site. Very expensive arc welder. A 206SP and a 348 left. Tes got sold at the same time as we came home.

Hence the numberplate on our car. DCH540, Debbie Chapman's 540. To go along with DCH348, DCHTES, DCH164, DCHBUS (race van).

post-9-1096248297.jpg

Guest Spargo

Diet Coke E30 M3 down there, which is the sexiest sounding car in the country.

Search the site for the vid I took of it at puke, you're not wrong!

A 2.5l motor is being built...

As in a S14??

Well if you are calling a built 2.5l S14 cheap, then it sounds like you have too much play money!!! Bastard!!! And a S42 must be horrendously expensive!!!

Love the pics.

Nice pics, awesome car

Could someone please explain a little more about the S42? I couldn't find anything on the net about it. Eg diseplacement, what it came in, valve train etc.

Cheers

Guest Spargo

Didn't come in anything.

Upright version of an M42, twin spark head, 240-310hp depending on tune, dry sump.

Used in E36 touring cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the S42 is basically a race version of a M42, with displacement of just under 2.0l, built for use in the BTCC etc...

And as such it didn't "Come in anything" but was built for a purpose.

if i remember the article correctly it came in the 318is homologated for the BTCC...ill try

find the article.....making c. 200hp??

Awesome

My mate has the '02 24hr race video, might have to get it off him again.

I used to love watching our 2.0L touring cars race, especially when they were battling it out with the V8s :mosh:

Guest Andrew

Total BMW Dec 2003 - Has a big article on the real 318is with the title "Heinz's Hybrid - Meet the E36 that's more M than the M3"

Little snippet

"After the e30 m3, BMW needed and effective four cylinder 2 litre race car but didn't have anything upon which it could be based.. blah blah blah.. The answer was to build a four door 318iS homologation special, incorporating many useful parts from other models, such as an extendable front and rear spoiler kit and m3 front bumper. The orginal e36 Super Tourer for the 1993 season was a 2 door coupe prepared by Vic Lee Motorsport (VLM). They used the 2 ltr S14 engine based on the E30 m3 unit, although it was not related to the 320iS engine...blah blah The 1994 racing 2-ltr 318iS saloon used a race version of the 16v M42 engine. Coded S42 it developed the same 280 hp as the S14 but developed better torque over a wider rev range"

It goes on for ages saying about the 318iS sold to the public (which i've never seen).

The real 318iS (the ones that homologated the touring cars) car like this

4 door M3 bodyshell

M3 side mouldings with BMW Motorsport on them instead of M3

Black Headlining

Lighter sport seats with unique lightning cloth trim.

Special Lightweight carpets - little to no soundproofing

Wind up windows

Light weight door trim

No A/C

260 kph speedo

Thinner glass

Lower suspension with Bilstien dampers and ACS springs

17x7.5 5 spoke rims and LSD

Came in Hellrot, Black, Dakar and a bright non metallic blue.

The S42 was the racing version of the M42. Nominally 1998cc in the Super Tourers. These 2 cars originally came from Italy I believe. I am working with the guys that ran BMW Motorsport Australia to get their exact history.

I have some more photos of the cars. I just need to figure out the scanner to get them in.

The Car DNF'd in 2002. After crashing into the Monaro at the end of Conrod. Fastest lap 2:30.8972. Quicker the the 3.2l M3. Excluding the Duller Motorsport M3's

As in a S14??

Well if you are calling a built 2.5l S14 cheap, then it sounds like you have too much play money!!! Bastard!!! And a S42 must be horrendously expensive!!!

Love the pics.

Given the 22 or so car garage and full workshop in CHC (correct me if I'm wrong Cain) I don't think the engine is going on juice with a finance company!

I don't know if there are 22. I'd need to count them up. A few nice toys though.

BMW missed out on 2 new M3's due the waiting list. So 2 Alfa 156 GTA's bought instead.

Here is the tourer as raced in our 1st Southern Endurance series.

post-9-1096329173.jpg

The Variety Club Bash Car. Quick station wagon with worked motor and rotating water cannon (in the snake) Cool fun to drive. Not under low objects or standard garages though.

post-9-1096329395.jpg