Sign in to follow this  
jochen

Spoken warning of speed cameras in your BMW

So a friend of mine "adjusted" the BMW nav software and now you can have your nav say a phrase like:

caution danger in_front_of_you do_not_overtake

or

caution danger in_front_of_you

or

caution danger ahead

all spoken in that lovely British ladies voice, blending through the stereo system, as you drive up to a speed camera.

All NZ speed cameras can be incorporated into the nav system

And the speed cameras are displayed on the nav permanently (as yellow coloured speed cam icons), allowing you also to navigate to other POIs or show petrol stations etc

Limitations: only for BMW Mk4 nav at present as fitted to E46, E38, E39, X3, X5, Z4

mean looking forward to gettin a mark 4 in the future

do it... best money spent on upgrade for the interior.

Have a chat with hotwire .. your looking around $3500 to do it. Im qouting e46 16:9 there too .. im not sure what the 16:9 e38 display costs ... the othe ris the loom. Im not sure it its a retrofit or straight install into e38's

check http://www.bimmernav.com to get an idea.

Edit here you go: Again talk to hotwire about installation costs. or attempt it yourself .. just leave yourself around 7-8 hours for install.

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw...t-item-173.html

You need the select the BM54 option and I would pay the extra for the 16:9 display too.

lol opps what i meant was how much just for the mark 4 nav ive already got the 16:9 widescreen display and mark 2 japan nav

Talk to hotwire (on this forum) he has a few around the $1200 mark (thats a good deal these days) . He'll also need to sort you out the jap to euro loom/harness conversion. You'll need the bm54 (euro) radio module too although it will im pretty sure work with your jap radio if you want to save some $$$.

That is cool. Now just to get them to do it in Homer Simpson or Richie Benaud's voice (with appropriate banter)....

Nav is on my wish list next time!

That is cool. Now just to get them to do it in Homer Simpson or Richie Benaud's voice (with appropriate banter)....

Nav is on my wish list next time!

If your E46 is newer than Sept 2001, you don't need to change the radio because it is already a world-model radio, and can be changed to Euro mode (for use in NZ) and the push of a few buttons

If the radio is pre Sept 2001, then it is Old Generation and you need to physically swap the radio from Japan model to Euro model, or fit the newer BM54 New Generation radio.

And changeing the nav from Jap to NZ in your car is around 2 to 3 hrs work.

If your E46 is newer than Sept 2001, you don't need to change the radio because it is already a world-model radio, and can be changed to Euro mode (for use in NZ) and the push of a few buttons

If the radio is pre Sept 2001, then it is Old Generation and you need to physically swap the radio from Japan model to Euro model, or fit the newer BM54 New Generation radio.

And changeing the nav from Jap to NZ in your car is around 2 to 3 hrs work.

Mine is already a world mode business radio (old generation - imported from the good ole U S of A last year). And my current setup is sans nav - so more like the 8 hours and more like the $3500 that Josh mentionned! Next time I'll know better....

I have a question about DVDs and SatNav.

At work we have a Singapore Import 745Li with functional NAV / NZ maps.

Could the DVD from the 745 but used in a MK4 E46 nav system?

I have a question about DVDs and SatNav.

At work we have a Singapore Import 745Li with functional NAV / NZ maps.

Could the DVD from the 745 but used in a MK4 E46 nav system?

Your 745i will be the iDrive car.

Different nav system, different map disc format

So sorry, NO, you cannot.