Sign in to follow this  
NVADER30

M50B20 DME Issues

My car is a 1991 E36 320i with an M50B20.

A while back my car started to run rough on idle, then started misfiring during acceleration. It's also had the check light on since I bought it, although I've never done anything about it as Shelley BMW went over the car and decided there was nothing wrong with it and that the light must just be earthing somewhere.

So yesterday I finally decided to do something about it. Looked up the diagnostic codes for my model, went through the pedal down 5 times method and got.....nothing. The check light stayed on as usual and gave no response whatsoever.

Spent about 3-4 hours searching the net for possible causes but only turned up a couple of other people with the same problem, none of which seem to have found the answer.

After that, I decided to pull the unit out and check all the connections. All exterior connections seemed fine however, the unit has clearly been opened as the seal is broken and most of the metal clips are broken also. Took the unit to my step-dad who's an A-grade mechanic. He took the top off and there are 2 connections on the lower board that have clearly been resoldered. The label on the unit is Motronic Bosch 0 261 200 403. I checked this number out on the net to see if I could get any more info on problem symptoms but this unit seems to be for 91-95 325i's with the M50B25 motor.

Does anyone know what the factory Bosch DME number for my car should be (Jeff Gray BMW will not give this information out; it's company policy to only quote the $1,936 price for replacement), or has anyone encountered a check light that refuses to go off?

Normally I would think it would mean replace the unit but the car was running fine with the check light on for almost a year.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

yes thats the correct number . i have spares