Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

Removing brake dust from wheels

I was using Endless race pads in the cosworth and they dusted up real bad, i didnt clean the wheels for a week and the dust has caked onto the wheel like concrete, have tried... Degreaser, 3 or 4 brands of mag wheels cleaner etc. Have also tried toothbrush and 3 different mag wheels cleaning brushes. Nothing seems to work. I can scrape it off with my fingernail but id rather not :s Any ideas as to what i could use to remove this stuff?!

Tried Desolvit? that worked mean when I didn't clean my wheels for a while. Or Brasso? Becareful with Brasso though as you probably know.

Ive always used a clay bar when Ive had dust baked on and its been brilliant. Hard work though but well worth it.

my BBS were absolutely caked with brake dust on the back....I spayed them with wheel cleaner left as per direction and scrubbed with an old hard nylon brush,....rinse,repeat,repeat...ended up using a whole bottle on four wheels,each wheel took at least four goes before i got them clean

Try Resenes Tri-sol. Thats what we use at the car yard. Wet the alloys, spray on undiluted Tri-sol, leave for a few minutes then attack with a hard nylon brush and rinse off.

It works wonders.

Popped into my mates car yard and their groomer told me to use polishing pads on a dremel along with some autosol, will give that a go if not try all of the above. Cheers guys:)

Edited by ED1RTY

Popped into my mates car yard and their groomer told me to use polishing pads on a dremel along with some autosol, will give that a go if not try all of the above. Cheers guys:)

X2. As long as your wheels aren’t painted, Autosol will take paint off!

I gave mine a few a coats of wax after I cleaned them and have never had to use much effort since, the dust wont stick to wax ;)

god damn, this stuff is literally like concrete, wheels are painted and the autosol doesn't seem to been eating the paint to much but it wont get the bloody stuff off!!! GRRRRR!!!

Think i might have to opt for a repaint.. :(

Concours this weekend to!!

Maybe some 2000 grit wet/dry will do it?

Edited by ED1RTY

g-yea!!!

2000 Grit wet/dry ftmfw!!!!

Happy now :) Thanks for the quick replies guys...

Maybe sticky this.... Brake dust is a bitch

Might need a decent wax... Have tarnished the clear coat i wee bit in some places that required 'extra' rubbing but overall better than covered in ugly dust

Edited by ED1RTY