Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Rack joint movement

Took my car for a wof today (e36 323I) and everything passed ok but when he had the car up on the hoist he noticed some play in the l/h front wheel. He called me over and we both had a good look at it and it looks like there is some small play at the end of the steering arm.

Its appears to be behind the boot on the rack side. The wheel bearings are fine. When he lowered the car back down and used that side to side thing (vtnz station) it appears to be ok but i am thinking its just because the weight is on it as the other side does not do it.

Guess the question is what under the boot at the rack end that joins to the rod is it a ball joint.

Is it something i can do myself although he said it was ok i did not like the play in it.

Took my car for a wof today (e36 323I) and everything passed ok but when he had the car up on the hoist he noticed some play in the l/h front wheel. He called me over and we both had a good look at it and it looks like there is some small play at the end of the steering arm.

Its appears to be behind the boot on the rack side. The wheel bearings are fine. When he lowered the car back down and used that side to side thing (vtnz station) it appears to be ok but i am thinking its just because the weight is on it as the other side does not do it.

Guess the question is what under the boot at the rack end that joins to the rod is it a ball joint.

Is it something i can do myself although he said it was ok i did not like the play in it.

Its a rack end ball joint. New from the dealer, it comes with the tie rod end as well as a complete assembly. You can buy new rack ends from B&T. Not sure on your skills, your local wheel alignment guys should be able to do it for you quite cheaply. It's real easy with the right tools and you'll need a wheel alignment anyway. They should be able to supply the part as well... it should be under $75 + fitting and an alignment... which I strongly suggest you do as well.

Its a rack end ball joint. New from the dealer, it comes with the tie rod end as well as a complete assembly. You can buy new rack ends from B&T. Not sure on your skills, your local wheel alignment guys should be able to do it for you quite cheaply. It's real easy with the right tools and you'll need a wheel alignment anyway. They should be able to supply the part as well... it should be under $75 + fitting and an alignment... which I strongly suggest you do as well.

Cheers for that mate will look into it today.