Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

Starter motor?

Hey!

Car: 93' e36 320i, 245km, manual

So I get up today morning and the car won't start, doesn't turn over, nothing. Battery seems dead.

1. Try to jump start it and nothing, no turning over (so I figure its not the battery as it had the leads from another car going to it)

2. When I turn the key all I hear is clicking

3. Push starting starts the car

4. As soon as I turn the car off the battery goes dead STRAIGHT away

5. Water low in battery, fill it up and its currently charging

So my question is. Is this a started motor problem combined with a dead battery? It can't be just the battery can it? As the car never turns over, just clicks. How do I check the solenoid? I've done some research but didn't come up with anything sufficient.

Thanks for any help.

Gregor

You may have too problems. I'd try a good battery first and check the charge rate. Should be charging around 14 volts. If it still wont start and the solenoid is clicking it will be a faulty starter motor

Ok, the battery has charged over night so will try it this afternoon and check the charge rate. I do think the started motor is gone though, how much do they cost approx? Is it a hard diy?

Ok, the battery has charged over night so will try it this afternoon and check the charge rate. I do think the started motor is gone though, how much do they cost approx? Is it a hard diy?

Try Ray @ HELLBM for a good second hand one. Not hard to fit

Do I have to take the manifold out to fit or can I do it from the underneath? I will give Ray a call later on today.

Thanks

Do I have to take the manifold out to fit or can I do it from the underneath? I will give Ray a call later on today.

Thanks

Leave manifold on ...its a bit akward though if you havent got the right tools

Its ok, I got to change the rocker cover gasket anyway, so might as well do it all at once.

Thanks for the help.