Sign in to follow this  
Danny_E30

My car does not want to start.

Hey guys and girls.

I started my car up today to go to a friends place, and half way down my driveway my car died. I tried to start it a couple of times but failed. It kept detonating in my exhaust. I roll started it and i got back to my place in 1st gear and as soon as i stopped the car died again. Now it doesn't want to start with the ignition.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

All feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Danny.

ahah i used to get that problem all the time when my car got wet, dont get it with the new engine, so it must of been on the engine somewhere

my symptoms were

when it rained the car would back fire upon starting and not idle when started, best thing were the backfires, so freaking loud, manged to blow up the resonator :)

sadly didn't find out how to fix it, only to try keep it dry

this sounds exactly like the problem my 320i has when its wet or extreamly cold! sory i cannot help, but if there is 3 ov us it must be common.. please help us fix this!

yeah my dad reckoned it was the "cold start choke" mechanism playing up, but im not even sure if it has one

one way i found that helped to start it was to pump the thorttle befor starting, then turn the key fully on with foot hard pressed to the ground and just keep turning it over, worked after 10 seconds, it did flood the engine tho

it has to be engine electrical as when i swapped engine the problem disappeared

sounds like your fuel mixture is all wrong so check this stuff

vacuum leak somewhere maybe

or bad earth wire from engine to chassis.

blocked air filter

poked alternator? do lights work etc?

if its completly stopped working my guess is theres a loose earth wire somewhere, maby from engine to chassis. or sometimes theres a small earth that goes to the rocker cover ( not on all e30s tho) you should be able to see if its loose. or damaged.

Thanks for you comments guys. I got up this morning hoping it would start and it did!!! :) So i wouldn't have a clue what the problem was.

I was told by a mechanic that it could of been a sensor or something?

Cheers.