Sign in to follow this  
wobbly47

e39 lights fault code now appears after taillight upgrade

Hey guys any ideas why I am now getting fault signals in my dashboard after upgrading my tailights? I'm getting check brakelights indicators foglights etc etc...........is it a matter of disconnecting my battery for a while or is there more to it?

Obviously im not the only person to do a lightkit upgrade so there must be a "reset" or something?

thanks in advance if you know the answers :rolleyes:

cheers Deano

Hey guys any ideas why I am now getting fault signals in my dashboard after upgrading my tailights? I'm getting check brakelights indicators foglights etc etc...........is it a matter of disconnecting my battery for a while or is there more to it?

Obviously im not the only person to do a lightkit upgrade so there must be a "reset" or something?

cheers Deano

Your car's light bulb monitoring circuit is configured for normal lamps, not LEDs.

Hence, with LED taillights, the circuit detects that the light bulb resistance is incorrect, which means a fault, and correctly tells you of the fault.

The correct way to handle this is turn off the light bulb monitoring circuit.

This is done by changing the software configuration in the Light Control Module (LCM), and to do this you need a tool like my NavCoder application.

cheers Deano

If you went with a genuine kit then you wouldn't have had that problem, they come with ballasts.

cheers Jochen, Nick.......re ballasts the upgrade lights for the front came with them and I've had no worries, its just the rears.......they came with a "control" type box connected with them.........maybe to change voltage??? not sure.

Think I might get the BM guys up here to overide the light thing when I get it serviced as i dont have a laptop etc, and knowing my luck id delete the ECU lol

cheers guys

unfortunitly the dealer will cost you about $120 to do it. just by a reslers interface for $50 and borrow a laptop. hell you can get a shitty one for next to nothing off trademe.

unfortunitly the dealer will cost you about $120 to do it. just by a reslers interface for $50 and borrow a laptop. hell you can get a shitty one for next to nothing off trademe.

120 bucks.......to press a few keys, bugger that!! :mellow:

if your in AKL sometime .. give me a yell and ill re-code it for you. Just give me warning as im pretty busy with other commitments at the moment.

if your in AKL sometime .. give me a yell and ill re-code it for you. Just give me warning as im pretty busy with other commitments at the moment.

cheers for that, might well take you up on it my friend!!!

cheers Dean