Sign in to follow this  
Avenged.SSE

Mercedes COMAND on an W209 (03) CLK

Hiya,

I was just wondering, if I wanted to get a COMAND screen type thing for the CLK (and it didn't come with one)

1) what will be the cheapest place to get it, and

2) is it easy/cheap to install or expensive?

Thanks for all help!

I used to do some work for a Benz dealership. COMAND is prohibitively expensive to retrofit, and is also very expensive to convert a jap to NZ spec. There is no one (to my knowledge) who fixes these in NZ.

Many W220 S-Classes that were imported into NZ had jap COMAND ripped out and replaced with a base spec CD/radio, not as effective but a lot more attractive than a screen full of japanese characters.

What are the details of your CLK? Importing a second hand unit from Europe would probably be the cheapest option, but you would need to get it fitted by a Benz dealer at no small cost.

Haven't purchased it yet, I'm just tossing between two atm, but it will either be a 2002 or 2003 one, so the new (W209) model.

I was also considering buying an aftermarket entertainment thing as an easy fix and it seems (from skimming over) some MB forums that it's possible to get an adapter for multifunction steering wheel use.

I was thinking something like this unit....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-205604372.htm

Haven't purchased it yet, I'm just tossing between two atm, but it will either be a 2002 or 2003 one, so the new (W209) model.

I was also considering buying an aftermarket entertainment thing as an easy fix and it seems (from skimming over) some MB forums that it's possible to get an adapter for multifunction steering wheel use.

I was thinking something like this unit....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-205604372.htm

I have seen similar units in imported Porsche's. They do the job, but for a car enthusiast they look horrid and stick out dogs balls.

What models are you looking at? NZ New CLK500's should have COMAND fitted. You can pick up a nice one of those for under $40k

too outta my price range mate! I'm looking at either a CLK240 or a CLK320, I'm having problems getting a hold of the guy with the 320, but that would be my preference, and that one comes with COMAND all set up and stuff. Do you know much about multifunction steering wheel adapters for aftermarket headunits?

and on a similar note... if I do get one with the COMAND system installed but it lacks a map, any idea how much MB will charge (or the cheapest alternative for getting the map)?

I really couldn't tell you any more that would be of help.

Best to give Coutts parts dept and ask them about the cost. As for Nav CD's, nav in NZ was only launched by MB about 12 months ago. From memory, the CD's are rather expensive.