Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

Installing m-tech 2 kit

Guest FrantiC

Alrighty well i got me a genuine m-tech 2 kit primered it all up to match my car and have been putting what I can on the car. Looks good :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just need to do the lower side skirts now, But the clips I have seem to need to be put into the rocker panel?? Like drill holes and put the clips through? i can't find anything on installing them and wondered before I start drilling holes -

How on earth do you do it?

How would you drill them anyways, Like what size and also how would I safely mark out where they are?

I put the sideskirts up to the body and you kind of can't really see where they meet so I have left it for now untill I figure out how exactly im going to do this lol.

Ideas and tips greatly appreciated :lol:

I cant give you much information other than yes, I think you do have to drill holes in the body and then put the clips into the holes.

The panels then push into the clips in the car.

Im sure someone else will come along and explain it better than that !

You might want to edit the photos to be thumbnails that open out to the big picture too, these are huge !

Edited by Penry

Guest Spottswoode

I have some diagrams I'll dig up this evening.

Line up the panels, and use a twink pen to mark where to drill the holes.

The sideskirts also go into the arches as well (don't quote me, I'm nowhere near my car, and so too do the extensions to the door pods.

I can't remember exactly how I did mine, but the door pods clip into the existing holes, just the rear ones need a hole drilled - you can put some wet paint on the "nipple" on the pod, line it up and touch the car with it to leave a mark where the hole goes. You then need to put a grommet in the hole for the nipple to seat into. Also paint over all holes to avoid rust.

The side skirts are easy as they have a few mm play each way - get them lined up, mark with a pencil or marker, then take the little pins out of the clips, reline up the clip, centre punch the holes, drill, paint, fit.

Lift the plastic sill covers off - lets you see what you are doing better.

You'll have to experiment with hole size - too small and they won't push in, too large and they won't stay in. i forget how big they need to be - I just remember thinking they looked too big, but they weren't.

I had the added benefit of having the car they came off to compare.

Edited by bravo

Did this 1/2 a year ago. Everyone's told you all the right stuff already.

Make sure the bit is the right size so that the clip clips in and doesn't pull out again, (5 or 6mm??? Can't remember).

It took me a day to align the holes, drill the holes (about 10 each side) etc...

Worth it in the end!

Guest FrantiC

Anybody notice how my valance seems to be droopy in the middle? Whats up with that I see nowhere else up there to hold it up. Seems to be sagging down or as if the sides are being pressed and its sticking forward and there is like a gap between the bumper and top of the valance because of this.

Sounds like Im going to have fun lol. FWIW I am just doing lower side skirts, No door pods. For one I got a 2 door kit so it won't fit but I think I like it better without. Especially if anyone knows of "QIMIS".

Edited by FrantiC

Guest Spottswoode

Anybody notice how my valance seems to be droopy in the middle? Whats up with that I see nowhere else up there to hold it up. Seems to be sagging down or as if the sides are being pressed and its sticking forward and there is like a gap between the bumper and top of the valance because of this.

In the words of a famous ferrari salesman "they all do that sir"

Every single M-tec at the anniversary day meet was sagging in the middle, and there was about 10 of the bloody things.

Guest FrantiC

Mines got a good 1" of droop though, Looks real stupid. Every e30 I have seen with m-tech2 had the valance right up under the bumper.

In the words of a famous ferrari salesman "they all do that sir"

Every single M-tec at the anniversary day meet was sagging in the middle, and there was about 10 of the bloody things.

Except mine, its one piece haha EDIT: and blairs! his is 2 piece though

Frantic, yes the Qimis car is AWESOME. But those skirts have had work done. i put my skirt on the car the other day without the door pods. NOT GOOD theres like an inch and a half "ledge" if you will.....

Edited by SIR E30

Guest FrantiC

Hmm, Well I will have to see when I put them on. Might have to look into modifying mine in a similar way.

Or else I will have to find someone willing to trade my coupe door pods for 4 door type door pods.

tech II skirt doesn't work without pods. Looks terrible. Get on the hunt for pods, but have your wallet ready - they prob won't be cheap.

You may be better off buying an entire tech II kit and then selling off the bits you don't need. There were about 3 4-door kits for sale last year. They come up now and again.

Guest FrantiC

Yeah I bought a complete m-tech2 kit for a coupe, Originally hoped someone would swap pods as that is all I need to swap really..

I'll see how I go lol.

Trying to sell the rear wing and coupe pods now though, Hopefully I find some pods or Ill think of something else..

Guest FrantiC

ok so I did one side, Just 2 of the side clips. Wasn;t too bad.. Needed to do 7mm holes. Didn't do all of them just wanted an idea of what they would look like.

Here is a comparison with and without:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Opinions?

I think they would need getting used to, Still not sure if I like them on there without the pods or not..

No way, you need the pods mate :P

Tip on skirts: I set the skirts up, clips in them in all, dabbed wet red paint on the end of the clips, held them up to the car, pressed them onto the sills, pulled away. - Voila, every hole perfectly lined up, marked out and ready for you to drill, I did this without fear, took me about 1.5 hours to do both sides and they sit perfectly.

You will also need to get the different wheel arch pieces as well. just to give you an idea of price.. for 2 door pods (1 front and one rear on opposite sides) and 2 arch pieces (front and rear and opposite sides) cost me $640 WITH a discount brand new from germany.. They arent cheap! But are necesary. There was a car on trade me a few weeks ago with a full tech2 kit. It was around 2 grand, might pay to look into that. Could work out cheaper.

Guest FrantiC

You will also need to get the different wheel arch pieces as well. just to give you an idea of price.. for 2 door pods (1 front and one rear on opposite sides) and 2 arch pieces (front and rear and opposite sides) cost me $640 WITH a discount brand new from germany.. They arent cheap! But are necesary. There was a car on trade me a few weeks ago with a full tech2 kit. It was around 2 grand, might pay to look into that. Could work out cheaper.

You mean this one?

I bought it, And for only $1160 :P

Nah yeah I think it looks weird without the pods. I kind of like having none atm, Seems to look alright.

Ill see how I go with getting pods though.

Edited by FrantiC

I paid around 2.5k for a running 4-door tech II with buggered gearbox a couple of years ago. Same colour as mine so I swapped the kit over, and put a spare auto box in it I had lying around and gave the car to my g/f. She wrote it off, and insurance gave us $1700 after buying back the wreck, so worked out fairly well financially.

Only thing was it was missing one of the rear arch pieces. Took me until last year, but I finally got one.

Wait long enough, and you'll find some pods, but you may have to muck around like I did and buy an entire car.

I think you may have erred thinking someone would swap 2-door pods for 4-door. There are heaps of 2-door kits around, but hardly any 4-door. I've only seen a couple other than mine.

PS. I don't think you can get away with just the skirts - looks worse than no skirts.

Edited by bravo

Na a differnt car, a four door one. Duno if its still around..

you could get a set of tec 1 skirts untill you find some pods?? just an idea