Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

E34 - Electric seats / Mirrors working intermittently

Hi guys,

After searching for a few days I have not really found what my issue is here.

Basically the electric seats and power mirrors work when they feel like it, some times not at all and sometimes straight away.

Its like power gets cut to them at a certain point in time weather its parked up or your driving or at the traffic lights.... just seems to be totally random.

However its extremely annoying.

I thought one cause could be the seat switch but that does not seem plausible in this situation.

My guess is a power loss of some sort? Like a relay sticking, or having bad contacts??

Any information / help / a solution to this would be excellent! This is an E34 540i 1993.

Cheers

Mike

thhats my thoughts at the mo.i wonder if you can bypass it and have manual control only of seats and mirrors

thhats my thoughts at the mo.i wonder if you can bypass it and have manual control only of seats and mirrors

Yeah thats an idea, might be tricky but dont see why I couldnt just rewire it under their neatly so all the motors have a direct feed to the power cable.

Then again, the mirrors might be the next issue with that... will look into it as I need to take the seat out to replace a motor tomorrow so will see what the go is.

Might open up the box in that time and see if there are any components that could be replaced - old caps perhaps could be the culprit or bad relays?

Yeah thats an idea, might be tricky but dont see why I couldnt just rewire it under their neatly so all the motors have a direct feed to the power cable.

Then again, the mirrors might be the next issue with that... will look into it as I need to take the seat out to replace a motor tomorrow so will see what the go is.

Might open up the box in that time and see if there are any components that could be replaced - old caps perhaps could be the culprit or bad relays?

check fo rdry joints , bad conections in relays etc . i might have a replacement control box . depending on which type it is .

cheers.

also check the main power fuses under teh seat (green 32amp ones) the sockets often burn out .