Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

E34 540i Exhaust options.

Right, I have my E34 540i with its factory system.

A great factory system, keeps it nice and quiet, though I want it to actually sound like a V8...

As far as I know these older exhaust systems don't mind being tampered with - from memory the later 90's E39's and E38 have those qwerky tuned systems which if removed or replaced with other gear can cause them to actually loose power.

For mine I was thinking of a full header back system Remove the cats, mid mufflers and rear...

Replacing it with 2.25" tube, an X pipe as close to the headers as possible, leading down on the left side to a dual inlet/outlet Remus muffler or something of that high quality type - what other decent compact chambered mufflers are out there available here in NZ that would fit into the exhaust cavity on the E34's?

Any recommendations would be good - as to what you have done on your V8 BMW's etc.

Mike.

have system i just pulled out with the cats cut out already .

also have a nz new system which doesn't have the cats just small mufflers .

you can just bolt the front section in if you want .

or just rip your system out and replace with something louder .

if you wan to have a look at it.

post-279-1236498740_thumb.jpg

post-279-1236498821_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

There are no issues with modding exhausts on these engines unless you get it wrong.

classic!

Im not sure of a E34 exhaust setup (does it have a middle and a rear silencer?)

If you have a small budget -rip out the silencers and replace with a straigt pipe - it does sound good and you dont get to much drone inside. It costs nothning if you know a welder / muffler shop and you will get the V8 sound. Or, you could put a aftermarket silencer on it.

These exhaust are good to replace the stock one (without inbuilt resonators)

1. Aero Turbine (cheapest)

2. Magnaflow

3. Bora

4. Eisenmann

5. Remus (expensive - but the best)

None of these (depending on your fitment etc) dont sound too raspy etc, and doesnt sound like a Mustang, Camaro - its just right

Start with your exhaust first, if still not happy then look at different Cats, resonators etc? I know with E39s if you muck about with the OE cats it plays up with the DME, O2 sensors an is a pain in the ass.

It should increase HP for some of these exhausts, it lets the exhaust breathe better. Stick it on a Dyno afterwards, you may be surprised.

Edited by entscheidend