Sign in to follow this  
JasonL

Second Battery

Whats needed for me to run a second battery. Will it help with my audio gear im running. will I need upgrades of any sort.

Cheers innovance.

If your alternator can't keep your existing battery charged then all i can see a second battery doing is draining away as well.... maybe time to look at a better alternator?

If your plan is to add a second battery to grunt up the supply to big current sucking grunty amplifiers then:

1) grunt up your altenator to keep pace with batteries

2) grunt up the cabling to cope with extra current

3) locate the new battery as close as possible to the amoplifiers and use the shortest possible supply cables

5) USE a smoothing capacitor to take out the lumps coming from the alternator

6) use the shortest practical and suitably grunty cables from the amps to the speakers

7) Use decent connectors and pay attention to detail whenrouting cables and connecting

enjoy.

If you are using middle of the range cear just focus on teh capacitor and cabling

What sort of alternator can fit in down there any? I know it will need custom mounts. I will have 1 guage wiring from battery to amps and for grounding. Battery will be mounted in boot so close to amps. whats a smoothing capacitor. that just a cap?

You'll also need some way of controlling charging of batteries. I suggest a BEP Marine VSR (voltage sensing relay).

I didn't have a cap in my Rangerover with a dual battery set up and medium power stereo.