Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Smoked indicators & Red Rears

Im after some smoked lenses for my front indicators and side repeaters. Instead of paying through the ass for the whole set up im just after the lenses.

Also im looking for some facelift tail lights that are fully red except for the white square for the reverse light (i hope you get what i mean).

Any help hunting these items down would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

Guest FrantiC

Don't think you can find just lenses for the indicators, But you can definitely DIY it by getting spray tint.. If you know what your doing it can look mint and it's easy.

There is a DIY on painting the rear taillights red too.. Not sure where I found it though will have a look.

Don't think you can find just lenses for the indicators, But you can definitely DIY it by getting spray tint.. If you know what your doing it can look mint and it's easy.

There is a DIY on painting the rear taillights red too.. Not sure where I found it though will have a look.

Just do the rear reds yourself,

thats what i did, and they turned out mint as.

Also did my sides with that tint spray paint.

turned out mint to

:)

If anyone could shed some light on what products to use and how that would be great.

Guest FrantiC

If anyone could shed some light on what products to use and how that would be great.

You can pick up a can of spray on tint from repco, $25. All you do it spray it on the lenses. More coats you apply the darker you can tint them..

And you can get red tint too?

Howd you do the rears Brook?

Im thinking i might pick up some lenses of ebay, as DIY tinting of factory lenses will still have an orange tinge too them. Im after a smokey clear look :D. And if you combine these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400031287782) with silver bulbs there will be no trace of the horrid orange in sight!!

Guest FrantiC

Yes they will be WOF-able, You can tint rear tails yourself so long as they are visible from 200m you are sweet. Changing it to red won't really decrease light output too much..

Not sure on that one, I think it will probably flash red?

Yes they will be WOF-able, You can tint rear tails yourself so long as they are visible from 200m you are sweet. Changing it to red won't really decrease light output too much..

Not sure on that one, I think it will probably flash red?

Sweet. Sounds awsome. I might ring round some paint shops and see if anyone can do it for me, cos im pretty mud at spray painting lol. Failing that il invest some time and patience and will post up some pics of the new look when they're done.

Cheers

Thats not true. Tinting lenses is illegal and if you get an overally officious WOF tester you will be failed. Putting anything on your lenses is a fail, however if your lenses come from the factory as red youre fine.

However, just putting a single coat or two is enough to go from orange to red and if your decent enough at it no-one will know the difference. If you put too much on you will definately change the light colour to be too red, so take your time and let each coat dry properly before trying it in the car to make sure you dont go too far.

Guest FrantiC

My old 325i coupe had lightly tinted rear taillights that I had tinted using tint spray and VTNZ said it was OK so long as they are still visible from 200m behind and they are distinctly viewable. It is the blacked out ones that will get you failed, where you can barely see the light because there is too thick layer of tint over the light it effects output too much. I had no problem going through twice and getting a WOF with tinted tails..

Could be their confusion of the actual law though.. But yeah that's what I was told and just speaking from personal experience. I am sure 2 coats of red would not make much of a difference because they would still look stock if you did a mint job at it.

Im sure if one was to fail a warrant for that reason, a shabby set of rears to swap for the warrant would be alot cheaper than purchasing an aftermarket product.

Ltsa states that your rear indicator lights are alowed to be amber or red. It's on their website. I can't be fd finding it cus I'm on my phone typing this. Good luck! I will be atempting this soon too.

Ltsa states that your rear indicator lights are alowed to be amber or red. It's on their website. I can't be fd finding it cus I'm on my phone typing this. Good luck! I will be atempting this soon too.

Lol il have a look. Thanks

I said 'tinting your lenses is illegal' not having red lenses in the first place. Its a wof fail if you put anything put on your rear lights. Whether its lense tint or something else it doesnt matter.

But like I said if you do it well enough, its not difficult to get right, and you have a tester who doesnt know any better then you are unlikely to have any problems.