Sign in to follow this  
red89mx

E46 m-sport suspension upgrade

Hi All

Whilst this forum seems to be heavily E30 dominated, wondering if there is some experience out there with E46 suspension upgrades.

Prior to purchasing my E46 I test drove a 2001 m-sport 330i which had Bilstein HD shocks and H&R springs. I was very impressed with the handling and the way it absorbed bumps on the road....not too hard, and this was not a low mile car (140k). Unfortunately missed out getting the car during a trademe bidding war.

My 01 330i M-sport has Sachs shocks and overall they are OK, but nowhere near as flat cornering as the Bilstein/H&R package.

I am not that interested in lowering as the car already has some difficulty negotiating the road/driveway transition. In saying that the Bilsteins may force a 20 - 25mm height reduction?

Like the thought of adjustable coil overs (PSS9's or 10's etc) but wallet does not extend that far.

I see there is a set of Bilstien SP's on Trademe - am I right in assuming these are likely to be more track orientated than the HD's....http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=207416218 . look forward to the replies.

If your E46 is a genuine m-sport it should be about 25mm lower than a standard E46 already.

The shocks will not give you a ride height change, it is the springs that control this. I am sure their are other members on here who have upgraded their shocks and could give you more informed feedback. However, I am sure the Bilstein's will give you the handling you are after.

oh and btw.. welcome to the forum :)

Edited by zenetti

Yeah, the E46 M-Sport Package is lower than the standard option. If you can afford it grab some adjustable suspension. I had some bilstein shocks with lowered springs and, although it made the car sit lower and handle slightly better, it just doesnt do the job that adjustables do. The handling and steering response is something you just have to see for yourself when you have them. I used to think adjustables were for people who were serious about racing etc but... I dont race (yet) and this is the best investment i have made! ;)

Hi All

Whilst this forum seems to be heavily E30 dominated, wondering if there is some experience out there with E46 suspension upgrades.

Prior to purchasing my E46 I test drove a 2001 m-sport 330i which had Bilstein HD shocks and H&R springs. I was very impressed with the handling and the way it absorbed bumps on the road....not too hard, and this was not a low mile car (140k). Unfortunately missed out getting the car during a trademe bidding war.

My 01 330i M-sport has Sachs shocks and overall they are OK, but nowhere near as flat cornering as the Bilstein/H&R package.

I am not that interested in lowering as the car already has some difficulty negotiating the road/driveway transition. In saying that the Bilsteins may force a 20 - 25mm height reduction?

Like the thought of adjustable coil overs (PSS9's or 10's etc) but wallet does not extend that far.

Hey and welcome to the forum.

No suprises Im chiming in here :) I tend to be a little vocal on the topic :P

The car I suspect you test drove was david braces car ? which was running PSS9s

The 'standard' M-sport shocks and springs are the best / most sensible option before running coil overs. Lowering springs will only give you a ride height change and some what increase wear time on your shocks while it feels firmer at first after 2 years your inner seals will be shot for over working the shock. The biggest mistake people make with lowering springs is while it feels firmer, because the standard shock are compressed, on rebound you will feel that they in fact quite floppy. This is where a lot of car control is lost, On the negative G's or going over 'whoops' in the road. I did this route before I saw the light and upgraded to a full 3 way adjustible coil over system in mine.

There are slightly cheaper options around than spending 5k on pss9's or 10's.

I bought the KW system which has a proven track record on and off the track. They are a lot cheaper than the Bilstien system(s) however certianly are not cheaper in qaulity. The shock is specailly shortened Koni yellow race and the springs are Eibach .. the only thing KW actually manufacture is the adjustible spring purches and struts.

You maybe able to get a nice deal on some H&R's from our forum sponsor. There has been alot of time and research gone into the H&R brand for e46 vehicles.

You mention how flat the car sat in the corners. Massive gains in cornering ability can be had with sway bar upgrades. For me again I chose Eibach. Your car will sit a lot more level in the corners and have almost no roll.

My entry driveway is the worst in the street .. so much so I dont use it! haha My car is pretty low, I drive two wheels on the footpath and two on the road to the neightbours driveway and then dismount onto the road from there :) works a treat and I dont scrape my bumper.

The ride height adjustment is key for tuning weather your car sits flat or slightly angled. (nose down back up) which is the default e46 'stance'

As D@NZ has said, Coilovers really are night and day. The steering response is razor sharp, turn in is amazing (very satisfying feeling) and the great thing is you can change you stiffness if your going to have the odd track day.

I have set mine to medium or half way for the best compromise between both road and performace driving.

Save your money to put towards a set of coil overs. Also shop around, buying PSS9's in NZ is rediculously expensive.

Put it this way, you lower your stock shocks m-sport or not. They will wear out a lot faster. It happened to me and caused all sorts of handling issues after a fair amount of time on lowering springs. Im not saying dont do it. Just expect it to accelerate wear. So in essence 3pedals .. we agree.

If your going to spend a couple of grand on shocks why not save some more (about another 1000-1500) and get a 'coil over' setup. That way he has the best of all worlds for a road car setup.

Generally people buy aftermarket sway bars in matched pairs for the type of vehicle ;)

Anyways, to the original poster, look into all options .. Ask yourself how long are you going to keep your car and what you really want your end goal to be from your vehicle. From there youll be able to awnser your questions with all the information.

Whew...a good response to the post.

The E46 330i I drove was Napier based (understand a bloke from Auckland purchased as a first car for daughter........hope she appreciates it). The shocks and springs were done by the original Japanese owner. The Springs were H&R 29485 VA/HA and the sway bars were 24mm front and 19mm read (not sure if these are stock). Even though I did not get the car the seller was very helpful with info ( a nice 911 turbo and A8 in the garage indicated he had a serious passion for euro performance).

Back to the orig topic - I enjoyed how the E46 330i went with a modest suspension upgrade, and whilst PSS9/10's would cover all my options they are too expensive in NZ and the NZD/USD has even priced them out for private import at the moment. Happy to spend $1,500 possibly 2k tops for this, have other toys (and a missus) that want their share of my $$$. But have parked the thought.

Returning to the Bilstein SP's on trademe....would these be significantly firmer than the heavy duties? if so not that interested as this car needs to be a daily driver as well.

I also almost forgot.....

When you change your suspension to a Fully Adjustable Suspension setup, you will need to get your car certified. If I can remember correctly, this can cost anywhere from around $300 - $500. You will not pass your WOF if you dont have a cert for them. And if cops find out/suspect (which is quite rare if you have a tidy looking car) you will be paying the price anyway... But coilovers are still worth it IMO.