Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

key snapped in the lock..

Guest FrantiC

So yeah this morning my key decided it would be a retard and snapped whilst I turned it to the deadlock position.. So now my drivers door has half a key lost in the cylinder, and the only door that I can open is the passenger door... (everything else is deadlocked)

I've tried putting pliers in but they don't get far it seems pretty far-gone? Any ideas?

it's my e30 btw.. :wacko:

Edited by FrantiC

It doesnt help get the broken key out of the door but do you have a extra key? Cos otherwise I would just rip the broken lock out and swap the entire set up with another car, unless you can get the key out etc

Get in the car through another door (spare key?)

If you didn't get it to deadlock you can then open the door and pull the trim off, and remove the lock barrell - once it's out of the car you might be able to shake it out of the barrell.

I've had this happen to me before also.

Ring up a locksmith, they can remove the key, cut a new one on sight and for around $40 - not a bad deal :)

Guest FrantiC

Yeah I have a spare key luckily, But I was like 20km from home at EIT in taradale when it happened, So had to get me mother to pick me up and take me home then have a huge hunt for my spare key lol. Found it then she drove me back, luckly enough the passenger door opens / locks..

But yeah no other doors will open and it IS in the deadlock position so I can't get into anything, only door I can access the car is the passenger door which is a pain already lol. I just need to get the half of the key that snapped into the drivers door lock out, I can't even see it and I don't wanna break anything :(

Edited by FrantiC

The deadlock stops you from unlocking it from the inside aswell? (ive never used it before)

I suspect mine could be playing up. Everynow and then the door wont unlock with the central locking, and I cant unlock it from the inside (my key dosent fit it either cause its a different door and I havent changed the locks over)

But if I play with it by trying to lift the lock and pull the outside doorhandle a little bit, it will unlock.

The deadlock stops you from unlocking it from the inside aswell? (ive never used it before)

Yep - that's the point, so if the window is smashed the door still can't be unlocked.

+1 vote for locksmith. Esp. since they might charge less as you can drive the car to them.

Edited by bravo

Had this happen on my e32, mates dad turned the key and it just snapped in the lock, he took it apart and got the key out but the lock was never the same afterward's and the central locking started hating me, used to lock 2 seconds after unlocking, apart from that it was okay, interesting routine for putting petrol in though, people used to give me wierd looks as I unlocked the boot and quickly ran to the petrol flap to get it before it locked again. hahahahh.

Said it was a real mission to get out of the barrel but he felt guilty about snapping it in the lock lol.

Guest FrantiC

Took the advice and went to see a locksmith (goddard security). They managed to remove the broken key piece within 5 minutes using some flash tools then cut me a new key all for only $17.50..

At first thought I was thinking F that, It'd probably cost me $100+ because I was thinking they would probably say they need to pull the door lock out etc etc.. But now I feel dumb, Wasn't too bad - He greased up all my locks, cut me a fresh key and made sure it worked in all the locks. Brilliant!

Sweet! good price.