Sign in to follow this  
danj

e34 540i wheel and tyre replacement options

So it hasn't taken me very long to figure out that 230/55ZR390 tyres are hard to obtain, so far I've only found (in NZ) that dunlop do them.

1.) Does anyone know where the best/cheapeast place in chch is to get these tyres?

2.) Are there any other tyre options that I have that will fit on the factory wheels?

3.) What are my options for replacing the wheels? I would like to get as similar size to the originals as possible.. but in the more common sizing system.

Cheers guys

They are the original metric tyres and my only advice to you is to ditch them and get some standard 16' wheels for the e34 :D

You should find the wheel options either in the owners manual or on a sticker inside your drivers door. There are LOTS of options for the e34, I would say your only limit is your budget.

Standard 16's I believe are 225/55/16 but Im sure someone will correct me.

Edited by Penry

17" are a good choice for e34 540i .

and common tyres sizes like 235/45-17" .

yes ditch the metrics (failed experiment)

17" are a good choice for e34 540i .

and common tyres sizes like 235/45-17" .

yes ditch the metrics (failed experiment)

I went to firestone and got some M5 replica wheels priced up, 16x7, P20 offset, so I'd run 225/50R16 tyres, which have a slightly smaller OD than my current ones.

$869 for a set of 4.

Am I on the right track?

Cheers

I'm sure this question must come up lots... but I need some help with offsets. I understand that the offset on my current wheels is 20mm, I'm guessing the wheels are 7" wide or so...

I'm looking at getting a set of 17"x8" wheels, what offset should I get? Do I need to stick to 20mm offsets, or because of the extra width can I go to a 38 offset?

Cheers guys..

I'm sure this question must come up lots... but I need some help with offsets. I understand that the offset on my current wheels is 20mm, I'm guessing the wheels are 7" wide or so...

I'm looking at getting a set of 17"x8" wheels, what offset should I get? Do I need to stick to 20mm offsets, or because of the extra width can I go to a 38 offset?

Cheers guys..

no around 20 for 8" wide rim is fine ,.

et38 is for e36 e46 etc

Thanks... the guys at a tyre store in central chch told me that et38 17x8's will fit fine, is this not the case?

Thanks... the guys at a tyre store in central chch told me that et38 17x8's will fit fine, is this not the case?

Those tyre guys have put you wrong, you need et20 for 8" wide rims on a E34 5 Series. Et38 will be in way too far and will hit on the inside somewhere.

Right so I finally figured out what I want, now I just need to find them (which I think is going to be impossible for the rears...)

front: 17x8 et20 running 235/45

rear: 17x9 et22 running 255/40

I'll send mag and turbo and mag and tyre direct an email... but i don't like my chances of finding the 17x9's with a 22 offset.

Thanks for the help guys, if anyone knows where I can find what I'm after, I'd be very grateful

Right so I finally figured out what I want, now I just need to find them (which I think is going to be impossible for the rears...)

front: 17x8 et20 running 235/45

rear: 17x9 et22 running 255/40

I'll send mag and turbo and mag and tyre direct an email... but i don't like my chances of finding the 17x9's with a 22 offset.

Thanks for the help guys, if anyone knows where I can find what I'm after, I'd be very grateful

i still have a very nice set of 17" for your car,if you dont like to price of the good guys at M & T

m

will some 540i e39 wheels be any use to you? i have a set of 16" ive just taken off mine with virtually brand new pontenzas on which i want to flick off.

See the sticky for this section- has all the lowdown