Sign in to follow this  
Tsyon213

Ugly Grey Bumpers

I have seen that the fair majority of bimmersport members have somehow managed to changed these to the colour of their cars. Is this simply just painting it or a bodykit?

Cheers

Tyson

You can paint the existing, or buy parts

0212HELLBM for parts

Before i bother ray with the call does anyone know the rough cost of the parts?

And is there a significant difference in looks between the 2 options?

Or just buy K+N Bumper Trim Paint from Repco and paint them yourself, mine came out great (standard gloss black) Is like $17 a can and you only need one can.

I primered and sanded mine with some 400 to 800 grit wet and dry, but im sure you could just spray on, maybe just wipe down with some meths/wax grease remover too

Um see my thread here: http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....st&p=232696 Will be some pics of the painted bumpers there

They are just gloss black, I guess if you want diamond schwartz ones, sand and spray with plastic adhesion primer then get some diamond schwartz made up

Basically the K+N stuff is a primer with flex aid added. The flex aid drops are what auto refinishers use to allow the paint to flex, and expand/contract at different temps/rates to what steel does. Stops the paint cracking and looking like sh*t after about a month. You dont really need to sand your bumpers (most have a textured finish that's a prick to sand properly), just make sure you get it extremely clean with prepsol and a tack rag, even do this a few times!

*ex-automotive refinisher

Edited by blakamin

So would doing what brams suggested with the plastic adhesion primer along with the colour match spray paint come out alright or would it definitely be best to take it to a panel beater

Basically the K+N stuff is a primer with flex aid added. The flex aid drops are what auto refinishers use to allow the paint to flex, and expand/contract at different temps/rates to what steel does. Stops the paint cracking and looking like sh*t after about a month. You dont really need to sand your bumpers (most have a textured finish that's a prick to sand properly), just make sure you get it extremely clean with prepsol and a tack rag, even do this a few times!

*ex-automotive refinisher

If i got a colour match spray can would it also contain the flex aid?

If i got a colour match spray can would it also contain the flex aid?

Maybe if you ask for it. The primer should be fine... should last a year or 2 at least.

L J Smits in East Tamaki should be able to do a matched colour spray can for you if you give them your paint code