Sign in to follow this  
BlowMyWhistle

Help query what's ths bit for..

Hi Y'all, allow me to take this opportunity to say hi from across the ditch, & the desert...

My baby girl. (all of 19) has an e30 a late model, '89 or '90 320i. It's got the console with check control up by yhr rear view mirror.

So far so good, no problems, we can handle that jandal, even if nobody here except for the million odd kiwi's know what a jandal is..

But cast your eyes lower to the centre console; You have to 4 window controls. on the left side is the lock out switch for the rear windows.

But what is the large switch on the right hand side, in front of the window controls for? It's a press down switch & it dont seem to do anything.

The e30's dont have a pwr economy mode do they? there's nothing to suggest this is what it is. It dont seem to do anything.

I could go down & see my friendly Beemer wrecker, but I keep forgetting....

Here's a funny story, funnyish. My baby's car got taken into a non BmW workshop & was quoted thousands & thousands of dollars to fix the steering, I got 2 2nd hand control arms for $50. fixed it myself.

We bought the car, $5000. was running rough, idle up & down, choking & spluttering. ICV, throttle switch, hoses etc, all been replaced, by a BMW dealer. I took it back they still couldn't get it right. I took it to aforementioned mate Beemer Motor Workshop. onya Andy. He cleaned the ICV & tuned the ear flow. had it running sweet inside 10 minutes. Think that's why they sold the car??!!

So if anyone nose what that switch is for.... I'll forget it again next week.

Thanks Y'all..

G'Day mate.

How about a pic of this switch you are talkn about.

May help us jandle wearing rednecks a bit more on identifying it for you.

Its the circuit breaker for the elec windows. They are mostly faulty. If you play with it, it will eventually pop right up with a red band showing around the base, and none of your electric windows work.

I jumpered mine as occasionally someone would play with it and then my windows wouldn't work until I fiddled with it to get it down again.

And yes, the other, smaller one isolates the rear windows.

I could never work out what the button does either..

Ohhhh.. Thankyou

Think maybe that buttons causing only the drivers window will go up and down in my car,

Or it might be something else..

Edited by E30ONP

I could never work out what the button does either..

Ohhhh.. Thankyou

Think maybe that buttons causing only the drivers window will go up and down in my car,

Or it might be something else..

Often it is the switch, swap them over with your drivers one and if they work then thats the issue. Open the faulty switch / switches and clean the contacts up with some emery paper. Worked for me!

Blowie, where are these wreckers you mentioned? I'm in Perth also.

Often it is the switch, swap them over with your drivers one and if they work then thats the issue. Open the faulty switch / switches and clean the contacts up with some emery paper. Worked for me!

Blowie, where are these wreckers you mentioned? I'm in Perth also.

Beemer Motor Workshop in Maddington. Albany Highway, Kelvin St. X the railway lines, watch for the camera...

Right at the roundabout, left Keera Court.

Andy. He's got 70 odd wrecks 94934660.

As far as that switch goes, think I'll just leave it be. My daughters car anyway!

Bringing e28 over here soon! Been sitting in a container 3 years! 520i with an M badge, got the same trim as 535.

My sons 16 soon, getting his L plates, give it to him.

Not worth a thing in NZ, Be worth about $5k here, about how much it's gunner cost to ship it over here...

Only doing it coz I've already spent $3k on it