Sign in to follow this  
steve R

Speaker Issue

I was driving home last night and suddenly both front speakers stopped working. they are Infinity Kapas. strange thing is both the front tweeters are still working, so i assume its not the amp. Possibly the crossovers? or speakers them selves?

i was listening to some dirty dubstep at the time..which may have caused this haha. but they weren’t distorting or anything at the time.

any ideas where to start looking?

Are they running passively or actively? IE do you have a crossover with the components?

Checked the obvious? Any wires loose/earthing out?

I have had a quick look around, but i can't imagine it is a loose wire, as both speakers arent working, but both tweeters are working.

Speakers are high passed at head unit.

Hmmm push the speakers in, and if they crunch or you feel them scrape they're popped unfortunately. Blown VC's.

Other wise simply test a speaker off the crossover and that will let you know if its the speakers or not. Just trial and elimination really man.

It seems strange for only the woofers to stop on both speakers. Have you tried removing any crossover prior to the speakers?

It seems more likely that there is a failure in a component before the speakers than two individual units failing at exactly the same time. Unless it was caused by a surge. Are they being run from the head unit or off an amp. If not off an amp - why not - they should be. But that's another story.

go see the professionals

A stereo installer will find the problem quick