Sign in to follow this  
so54i88

headlight bulbs

hey guys, i'm thinking to change all the yellowish bulbs to white/ice blue (i think this's what they are called) to give it a better look. i'm not keen on HIDs as i've read here that they are not supposed to be installed to cars not designed for them. and i dont want anyone here curse me for doing that. lol

just wondering what brand are the best my bulbs are h7 55w and h8 55w for the fog light. i bought some on trademe for real cheap and they look more yellow than my existing ones. i always see a really tidy sp20 on the way to work and its got the best looking bulbs i've seen and they are not HID, just really white to slightly blueish. very nice. always wanted to stop the car and ask the driver. lol but i thought i'd ask here before i actual save up the courage and do it..... lol

cheers

I went down that route a couple months ago. What I ended up with:

Posted Image

Highly recommend them, completely change the front of the car. Makes it soo much more modern.

I went the proper way, repco. Narva Ultra Blue 5000K. Whitest possible Halogen bulb. Don't get fooled with the Arctic Blue, was still completely yellow!

Good Luck, any questions just ask.

did the narva 5000ks improve the amount of light produced? or did it just make it whiter?

as i noticed that the factory lights on the M3, don't cover a good distance.

would it be possible that my lights are not focused correctly? the car has just passed a warrant at AA, so im assuming the lights are correctly aligned.

I didn't upgrade necessarily to improve light output. IMO they are equal to the standard halogens.

I wasn't happy with the aim of my lights. Was all over the place. Took it into AA St Lukes at closing and they adjusted the lights for free. The left one was way to high and the right one was way way to low.

I didn't upgrade necessarily to improve light output. IMO they are equal to the standard halogens.

I wasn't happy with the aim of my lights. Was all over the place. Took it into AA St Lukes at closing and they adjusted the lights for free. The left one was way to high and the right one was way way to low.

Did my brother do it for you? I might drop in there and get them to do mine.

I like Nick got the same bulbs, they are great. Bit more expensive to others but the best ive seen without actually being HID's worthwhile upgrade I say.

Did my brother do it for you? I might drop in there and get them to do mine.

I like Nick got the same bulbs, they are great. Bit more expensive to others but the best ive seen without actually being HID's worthwhile upgrade I say.

I assume not, a couple of Indian guys took about 10 mins to do it completely. Thats how far out they were!

Definitely worth it. It will honestly be the first mod I do to any cars I might have in the future.

hey mate, care to meet up 1 night, so i can compare the lights?

cheers

Can you just adjuct them with that switch in the car, I only just discovered mine worked last night.

hey mate, care to meet up 1 night, so i can compare the lights?

cheers

Yea mate, was actually going to offer. PM me sometime, i'm free most nights.

Can you just adjuct them with that switch in the car, I only just discovered mine worked last night.

Yea, but thats only very limited up and down movement. I believe the idea of that dipper is that if you are on the open road alone you can raise them up to get better light.

To adjust them properly you have to set them to the lowest point (I think, might be the highest, clarify before doing anything) in the car, then adjust from the headlight.

your inbox is full mate... but send me a text 021 627 410, and maybe tomorrow we can meet up.

cheers

Try KKK car part at New Market kyber pass.

They have planty of selections, 5000k, 6000k, 7000k and 8000k.

Make sure you use a quality brand (Narva, Philips, Osram and Hella are all OK), and don't exceed the standard wattage for the lamp (55W - using 70W bulbs will damage (as in melt) the plastic parts of the lamp).

I personally use Hella Cool Blue H7's and they perform really well (much better than the Race Auto brand crap that was in the car when I got it...). You can also get +30% and +50% light output for the same wattage bulbs - but be prepared to replace them frequently.

And the number one rule with handling halogen bulbs is not to touch the glass with your fingers!

Good luck.

i've always used the Narva Plus 50's they give a crap load more light that factory...

becareful with the temp range i.e. 5000k, 6000k, 7000k and 8000k.

if i remember it's something like 6500 is the best for human eyes, if you start to go to far either side of this they you loose visable light... Being on backroads and gravel roads i didn't want this... 

You might change the color of the light, but you might decrease the visable amount of light.. 

i

You might change the color of the light, but you might decrease the visable amount of light..

Yes - this is true. Another reason to make sure the bulb has an E mark. This means that it does actually produce the legally required minimum amount of light. Some of the cheap ones don't...