Sign in to follow this  
blakamin

m20b25 head

I'm about to change my head gasket due to an oil leak and I was wondering if the head can be taken off with the intake/exhaust manifolds still in place (coz I'm cheap, just had a new baby, and generally cant afford to pay for every gasket it would need).

I'll be getting an exhaust flange gasket.

Anything I should keep an eye out for hidden under the intake?

I'll be doing the cam belt and tensioner at the same time.

Thanks.

Can do but probably easier to leave inlet on & remove as one. Can leave exhaust one ok. Do water pump while doing cam belt etc.

Watch for (when reasembly) the drain tube between inlet manifold & bottom of block - that it locates correctly with O ring at the top

I'm about to change my head gasket due to an oil leak and I was wondering if the head can be taken off with the intake/exhaust manifolds still in place (coz I'm cheap, just had a new baby, and generally cant afford to pay for every gasket it would need).

I'll be getting an exhaust flange gasket.

Anything I should keep an eye out for hidden under the intake?

I'll be doing the cam belt and tensioner at the same time.

Thanks.

Have just done the same job. Yes you can take the head off with both manifolds in place. Watch out for the spring loaded breather under the inlet manifold - change the O-rings on this before you refit it. Oh, and get someone to help you lift it off the block as it will be heavy - same goes for refitting. While you have the front off the engine do the water pump as well.

Cheers guys, I knew there was something under there that I had to keep an eye out for!

How much is a waterpump?

$80 or so from memory

i did a e28 535i m30 engine like that long time ago . just lay the head upside down on some blankets with some bits still attached , cleaned it up ,. new headgasget and away it went again , and i still see the car driving around .

had a mecanic mate who brought a holden barina or something like that once with a blown head gasget . he just lifted the head up a bit and slid a new gasget in there . and away it went .

real cheap fix . dogy though

I thought about the dodgy fix... but not in my daily! lol

cheers guys. That saved me $150 in exhaust gaskets alone!