Sign in to follow this  
BAWBAG

Scary start -up...

A quick question for yis...

I start work pretty early and most ev'ryone in the 'hood is still getting some shuteye...until I turn the key. Tacho needle hits just over 2000rpm...no foot near the gas pedal. As she warms up there is a steady drop down to 1100 ish rpm and then she's fine...no more decrease in revs.

My bimmers no whisperjet :mosh: :mosh: I feel a bit bad for the poor buggers next door hearin my beast evry morning...would sound like :rambo: :rambo: in yr head...

One last thing , this is'nt a random idle issue...it is the same high idle start every time. Whaddya think??

I'm pretty sure mine does it aswell, Ummm.. I'll test it tommorow. I'm sure it's normal.

Aircon on?

same here

ive cried my river, now cry yours

prob just valve adjustment, no biggie, just get it done when you do cambelt

no biggie unless your andrew hahaha

Just had the cambelt done (and not a moment too soon,dude told me it was a JUST ABOUT ready to go..)

Don't know if having a flat K & N would make matters worse or not...

As you both said it's no biggie, I won't fret over it... and come to think of it,I don't even like my neighbours that much so fcuk 'em :finger: :lol: :finger:

If you have L-Jet system it could be leaky cold start injector, if you don't have one there is the thermo valve thing down below the intake manifold, works as an auto choke and is adjustable. You can identify it by the water hoses from memory there are 3 of them. and its a complete prick to get at.. good luck

Guest Andrew

Check your timing - too much advance causes a very high idle - my old 320 idled at 2500 rpm cold and around 1300 warm.

prob just valve adjustment, no biggie, just get it done when you do cambelt

no biggie unless your andrew hahaha

:rolleyes: I love wearing of my cam quickly

If your car is Motronic the idle should be steady at about 800rpm hot or cold, but my old L-jet was nothing but trouble at idle.It would yoyo between 1700 & 1300 rpm until warm.Cleaning out the idle control valve with carb cleaner can help.

Yes it is an L-jet F.I system... :banghead: Insome ways it's not a big deal 'cos the idle settles within 5-6 mins,which is the minimum warm-up i would give the car anyway... throughout the rest of the day there is no noticable surging /roaming while driving...

Thanks for your advice everyone, and will check some stuff out over the long weekend!!!

If your car is Motronic the idle should be steady at about 800rpm hot or cold, but my old L-jet was nothing but trouble at idle.It would yoyo between 1700 & 1300 rpm until warm.Cleaning out the idle control valve with carb cleaner can help.

Hmmmm, are you sure, my car has always cold idled at 1000-1200 and when warm it's always idled around 600 - 650 and i've got a 1990 motronic engine....

the idle settles within 5-6 mins,which is the minimum warm-up i would give the car anyway.

Do you sit there idling for 5 or 6 minutes????

:blink: Err...yeah.

She's middle-aged in car-years,so I give her a bit of time to wake up in the morning...south island mornings can be a bit crisp.

Do you think I'm being a "bit of a Doris" by giving my old girl that much of a warm-up?? :lol::lol:

i dont think you are doing your car or your neighbours any favours by idling so long ^_^ .If its sittimg there at 2000 rpm you may as well be driving along!Just keep the revs low and throttle openings small and you wont do any damage at all.Look at using a 10 w oil in the winter(Check the owners manual),cos the most wear happens right at start up....As soon as she can pull away i would be off....

driving is the best way to warm up, you dont gain anything by sitting there idling.

just dont hit the rev limiter too often in the first 10 mins

That's interesting...I had always been under the impression that in the colder months it was advisable to allow 5 or so minutes for the engine to warm up.

I think it might let the guys at Topp motors-blenheim have a look ,as my car is now occasionally stalling at stop signs etc...(not the lights,as we don't have any in Blenheim :wacko: )

It seems the possible causes are too numerous for a noob to handle :gay: ,so I'm gonna wimp out and pay someone to fix this particular gremlin...

Guest Andrew

if you drive slowly and keep the rpm down its fine to warm up by driving. If you sit there your only warming up the motor and not the gearbox and other mechanical parts.

sh*t...I'm just thinking about all the gas I've wasted over the years diligently warming up cars.. :lol:

Still,every time I visit this board I'm learning something new...my area of expertise is grapevines (not cars ,as you may have deduced by now :wacko: )

Thanks guys and appreciate the advice...