Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

Clear Light upgrade - E39 540i Schnitzer

If you remember, we fitted some facelift clear celis tails a while ago. Here.

Well, today we got around to fitting some clear lights I got my father for Christmas last year. Didn't want to have the hassle of the face lift angel eyes with the ballasts and all that, so this was a good compromise.

When we go them they weren't in the best shape, there was a bit of crazing on the top. Which was sort of expected. Picked up some Meguiar's PlastX which worked absolute wonders on bringing the lenses backup to perfect (As you'll see in the photos).

First we did the left side. Removed the light, then swapped the lenses over.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Left side done. Looked mint. Huge difference from the old faded orange.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Right side done!

Posted Image

And finally the result! Suits it way better IMO.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will try and get some nice pictures sometime soon of both the bimmers.

Edited by Nick021

Both cars look beauuuuuuuuuuutiful Nick.

have you though of putting clear rear indicators on yours?

Dean

Very nice, if you dont fancy going the angel eye route this is a great compromise.

Any plans for a facelift chrome grill?

So, were these new or from a wrecker?

I only ask as you mention crazing...

Both cars look beauuuuuuuuuuutiful Nick.

have you though of putting clear rear indicators on yours?

Cheers Dean. Thats definitely on my list, would love to but the moneys a bit short atm haha!

Very nice, if you dont fancy going the angel eye route this is a great compromise.

Any plans for a facelift chrome grill?

Idk Martyn. Maybe on the cards, will ask and see what he says.

So, were these new or from a wrecker?

I only ask as you mention crazing...

These were bought off trade me late last year. They were falsely advertised IMO, they had quite a bit of crazing along the top of the lens. But the PlastX completely removed 95% of the crazing and now its not even noticeable.

Cheers Simon.

Looks way better than the orange ones. But how come you didn't go for the facelift lights? Are they too expensive or something? I have them in my 540. Non HID ones. I didn't install them though so not sure how hard it is.

Looks way better than the orange ones. But how come you didn't go for the facelift lights? Are they too expensive or something? I have them in my 540. Non HID ones. I didn't install them though so not sure how hard it is.

They're extremely expensive new mate. Second hand they're pretty rare, come up occasionally on Trade Me.

If you fit facelift (genuine unit) lights then you've gotta replace the bracket, you need a new splitter for the parks and some other light. Thats just halogen.

Xenon units need ballasts. Without them I don't know what would happen, would probably burn out the wiring? As well as the other things I mentioned.

The genuine rear lights look immaculate but cost a fortune to get and modification is necessary to fit them. The ballasts were needed to get them to work without the celis strips flickering and no warnings on the dash. The back was enough of a hassle!

You can buy complete hella retrofit kits for both front and rear but they charge you an arm and a leg for them.