Sign in to follow this  
sprint_25

Need your advise

Give the repairers some slack guys. No repairer holds up a job deliberatly. There will be a reason and probably not their fault and the OP hasnt been able to give us the reason.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Looks like they didn't have enough painters in place, which is causing the delay.

They had bought the parts before inspecting the car, they had done the inspection from outside.

Once they had opened it, they found extensive damage in the boot.

Anyways still no luck waiting for the car.

I'd say this is pretty piss poor service. I have NEVER heard of a car taking this amount of time for what you describe - but maybe this is normal for PAW. As I said before, you would have been better off with Bay's Car Painter and Collision repairs - at least you would have a loan car. They do a hell of a lot of work for Jerry Claytons...

Can't really comment on Bay's Car Painter and Collision as I've not had any dealing with them - but personally I would not take my car there as they use PPG paint systems and it's not the same as Glasurit paint (the original OEM paint system). I know for a fact that Team McMillan uses 3 different panel beaters - and only Euro Collision and Eurotech for the best repair jobs (both uses Glasurit paint systems) - the other outfit is reserved for Minis, and used cars. I would say that JC would be the same. Having said that I am in no way making any assumptions about Bays Car painter and collision or implying they are not good (they could simply be the alternative to Precision Auto for JC).

But as I've said, if you treasure your BMW, then use nothing but Glasurit paint on it for repairs and touch ups - price up their paint and you'll realise why it's different to everything else out there.

Sounds like the car is going on a JIG - if that's the case and they are doing a proper job then the wait time doesn't sound too bad to be honest. I'd be concerned if you got that car back in a week or so.

Edited by M3_Power

But as I've said, if you treasure your BMW, then use nothing but Glasurit paint on it for repairs and touch ups - price up their paint and you'll realise why it's different to everything else out there.

Please justify your comment regarding paint. Being a car/custom painter for 25 years i'm interested in your reasons as to why Glasurit is better.

Please justify your comment regarding paint. Being a car/custom painter for 25 years i'm interested in your reasons as to why Glasurit is better.

Well I don't want to get into a mud sling fight over which is the better system - plus you need to tell me which system from Glasurit you want me to compare with the others? The new 90 line waterborne or the old 55 or 22?

I prefer the system because of the following reasons:

1. It's the original OEM system on high end euros (including BMW) - Rolls Roys, Bugatti, Maybach, Ferrari ect are all Glasurit based systems - you can't tell me that these manufacturer use the Glasurit system because it's an inferior product. Also I personally prefer having the same OEM paint back on a car.

2. BASF is the largest chemical company in the world and they own Glasurit - on a pure R&D basis I'd say they are pretty much market leaders.

3. This is second hand information from various friends I have that are panel beaters and painters (I am not, so I am passing on their experiences):

- Better and more accurate colour matching

- better basecoat system

- better UV inhibitors

- easier to work with

- better clearcoat system (much harder and clearer compared to others) - with the new ceramic coating it is also much more scratch resistant (but apparently a pain in the ass if you do scratch it)

- better pigmentation and deeper colour metalic

- the blending agent eats in lot better allowing a better flow colour match

- less solvent and better for the environment - especially their 90 line

- longer shelve life and shorter drying time.

4. It's the preferred paint system used by a lot of high end restorers - for eg.http://www.specialchem4coatings.com/news-trends/displaynews.aspx?id=11332

Anyway - my original reply is purely subjective although partially from experience and second hand information from friends who have been in the industry for a long time - I never said it was better per se - I just think it's the preferred system and the only system one should consider using to maintain originality of paint quality on a BMW.

Put it this way, if I had a Lamborghini, I'd use PPG, because that's the paint system Lamborghini uses to paint its cars.

At the end of the day, a paint job is only as good as the painter

Edited by M3_Power

MMMMMM......Interesting but i guess everyone has a differing opinion.

PS: Point to note, PPG supplies BMW with the ceramic clears (fine layer of ceramic powder dusted on car then super-heated) for 6/7 series.

Edited by bellicose

Guys finally got back the car.

The car looks very clean and drives very smooth now.

I am happy with the way they have done the job.

Couple of things I noticed, first when I apply break I find mild wobble in the steering.

Second they have forgot to fix a beeding the top of the car, I will have to get that fixed sometime next week.

^ best to get a good wheel alignment after an accident :)

Hi all,

Problems problmes problems !! My car is giving me never ending problems.

I was adjusting the passenger seat and the seat went out of shape, so got the car back to panel beater, they have fixed it now, but they have put a second hand seat now, which I am not really happy about since this seat is having lot of wear compared to rest of my seat.

I also reported about the wobbling and they found problem in the RIM, first insurance company said its because of wear and tear of the car, but after a long discussion they agreed to do it. I had none of these problems before the accident.

If there is a problem in the seat? will they only fix a second hand seat for the car?? can some one give me some advise here ??

My panel beater is saying he is governed by the insurance company and the asseser is upset since its crossing the budget than he assumed.

Looks like my ride is totally compromised here, I have to get back to panel beater again, before that just wanted to get you guys view on this.

Hi all,

Problems problmes problems !! My car is giving me never ending problems.

I was adjusting the passenger seat and the seat went out of shape, so got the car back to panel beater, they have fixed it now, but they have put a second hand seat now, which I am not really happy about since this seat is having lot of wear compared to rest of my seat.

I also reported about the wobbling and they found problem in the RIM, first insurance company said its because of wear and tear of the car, but after a long discussion they agreed to do it. I had none of these problems before the accident.

If there is a problem in the seat? will they only fix a second hand seat for the car?? can some one give me some advise here ??

My panel beater is saying he is governed by the insurance company and the asseser is upset since its crossing the budget than he assumed.

Looks like my ride is totally compromised here, I have to get back to panel beater again, before that just wanted to get you guys view on this.

Would hardly call it problems, problems, never ending problems.

Yes the car should be repaired to "as before" condition.

It seems they overlooked the bent rim - but have fixed it now:-

Broken seat: If replacement is required then you can expect one of equal condition to be fitted. You won't get a new one due to the age of the car. What is the problem with the replacement? If it is the covering then get them to have it swapped with your original- assuming a good replacement cannot be obtained.

My advice would be to "Harden up & Deal with it" If you didn't have problems before the accident & your not happy with the condition of the seat, stand your ground with the repairer & the assesor.

How can we help you ?, its something you have to deal with yourself.... its a part of growing up (no offence intended )

My advice would be to "Harden up & Deal with it" If you didn't have problems before the accident & your not happy with the condition of the seat, stand your ground with the repairer & the assesor.

How can we help you ?, its something you have to deal with yourself.... its a part of growing up (no offence intended )

I meant help in the sense of getting to know how the process works, I was wondering if they will fix a new seat. before going back to panel beaters, just wanted to have a quick check with you guys. This is going to be my visit to them after fixing the car. So I thought knowing how it really works would be good

Would hardly call it problems, problems, never ending problems.

Yes the car should be repaired to "as before" condition.

It seems they overlooked the bent rim - but have fixed it now:-

Broken seat: If replacement is required then you can expect one of equal condition to be fitted. You won't get a new one due to the age of the car. What is the problem with the replacement? If it is the covering then get them to have it swapped with your original- assuming a good replacement cannot be obtained.

Thanks mate, I just wanted to know if they would fix a new seat or only second ones. I don't mind second hand ones, but I wish it could just match with my other seats, I will get back to them on this again.

I meant problems problems since its going to be my 4th visit (after my car is fixed) and still its in the process of getting fixed, guess I got little frustrated by it.

Thanks heaps for the replies, I will hit back to my panel beaters again.