Sign in to follow this  
haydenz

BMW E46 Factory Alarm and the Clown Nose

Hey guys.

I have recently purchased an ex Japan BMW 318i E46.

It comes with the infrared remote (as do all ex Japan) which has to be pointed at the 'Clown Nose' (red knob on the rear view mirror). The 'Clown Nose' also has a red LED that can blink when a factory alarm is installed (which all ex Japan BMWs do not have because the Japs do not break into cars).

Is there any way in making this LED blink without the factory alarm being installed???

I have read some information about doing this on bimmerfest.com, they are able to do it via the OBC, but when I spoke to my dealer and BMW New Zealand, they said that they have never done this?!

Hey Hayden, Hows things?

E46 now huh?

Yea it can be done, its not something you will go to the dealership for though unless you want to retro fit the whole thing and spend way too much money.

I think you can wire up a blinking LED in it if you really want to I odnt know how to wire it up but Im sure someone else can give you details on how to do it.

Hey guys.

I have recently purchased an ex Japan BMW 318i E46.

It comes with the infrared remote (as do all ex Japan) which has to be pointed at the 'Clown Nose' (red knob on the rear view mirror). The 'Clown Nose' also has a red LED that can blink when a factory alarm is installed (which all ex Japan BMWs do not have because the Japs do not break into cars).

Is there any way in making this LED blink without the factory alarm being installed???

I have read some information about doing this on bimmerfest.com, they are able to do it via the OBC, but when I spoke to my dealer and BMW New Zealand, they said that they have never done this?!

The Jap clown nose has the IR-Receiver fitted and no red LED.

You have to swap the mirror assemble for one with both IR-Receiver and Red LED, then add the extra wiring to connect the LED to the GM, and then you can make the LED blink