Sign in to follow this  
Cress

M30 4HP22 Gearbox serious problems.

Hey guys

I brought a second hand gearbox for my E32 735i, it was aparently from a e28. I needed a pre 1988 4HP22 Gearbox as the pre 88 has got 7 pins, where as the post 88 has got 8 pins. After some agonising effort my uncle and i managed to get the old gearbox off.

We have come across a few issues;

1: The two brackets that attach the Gearbox mounts to the gearbox are closer together, so the gearbox mounts dont mount up to my crossmember.

2: The Selector on the side of the gearbox is on the other side, to my gearbox. This may not have been too much of an issue, however unlike my gearbox where you can take out the cap on the other side of the gearbox, switch the shaft over. Thus changing the side of the gearbox that the selector is positioned. However it seems that the E28 was never ment to be both left hand drive and right hand drive. The groves are there but the holes are yet to be tapped.

We are hoping that problem 2 will be remided by the cable being long enuf to reach the other side, or we may have to do a quick modification. Can anyone advise on if they have come accross this issue and know of any solutions?

As for problem one. Does anyone know if an E34 or E28 4HP22 gearbox crossmember will fit a E32. Otherwise i think i will have to take the back end off my buggerd gearbox and put it on the new one. But i will need to replace the output shaft seal, which i had already done because we had given the gearbox a service in prep for going into the car.

As for the old Gearbox, the oil was BLACK, there was enuf metal in the pan to make a new cross member, The output shaft seal was degraded you could hardly call it an elastomeric.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as we will be hoping to continue work tomorrow morning.

Cheers

i have a bucket full of cross memebers you can look at in papakura not far from where you got the gearbox from . also some of the gear shift mechs have the cable out the other side . V8 ones etc .

or check with marty he might have some others too.

Thanks mate

Yeah, im going out to see marty tomorrow, to see if any of his crossmembers are going to bolt up.

Ill will give you a call tomorrow if we cannot get anything to work.

Well, i purchased an ouput shaft seal for the gearbox and used the back end of the old one. However i have run into another problem, the lines to the transmission cooler have got a diffrent thread to them. Which is anoying to say the least, all i have left to sort is the selecter cable and this new problem. then its finished.

Anyone who gets a second hand 4hp22 gearbox may want to check it with your gearbox and not make the amature mistake i made by not doing my research and checking properly. But hey we learn from our mistakes.... well sometimes