Sign in to follow this  
330itis

MGF wont run (imobilizer?)

Hay guys. I know its not a bmw but Im only on here as a last result. Hope its ok.

Ok so I bought a MG MGF little convertible for my girlfriend as a surprise for when she gets back from the states.

Now, these cars have a factory alarm and immobilizer. The car I bought didnt come with the remote and was told someone had tried to get around the immobilizer before.

It consists of the remote, and the immobilizer computer which sends a signal to the ECU. I am told these two have to be matched up to communicate with each other.

Remotes are $300 there abouts so I decided to buy a parts car with the whole alarm immobilizer set up in it.

Only thing is that had a after market alarm wired into it as an extra.

I managed to take out the aftermarket alarm and return it back to stock.

And with a new battery in the remote I have been able to successfully unlock and lock the car.

When the immobilizer was doing its thing I couldnt crank the motor via the ignition key, But now that I have the car locking and unlocking with the remote I can crank the motor.

So I started trying to start the car and it seemed to be wanting to go but I couldnt get the revs up as it was coughing spiting and farting everywhere and eventually dieing.

I found that there was a lot of water and crap in the petrol tank which I cleaned out, flushed the lines (new fuel filter) and then filled with fresh petrol.

Heres the tricky part.

After cleaning the tank, Now when I turn the key the car turns on for about 2 seconds. and then shuts off. Ive narrowed it down to the injectors not firing. They fire a couple of times on start up and then it looks like the trigger voltage they get gets down to almost nothing, but it happens instantaneously. Once you stop cranking, and just before the engine stops turning they fire at full strength just once.

I had the car running by squirting brake parts cleaner in it and the injectors never seam to fire.

I am at such a loss. I hate this car. Any past experiences or opinions would be greatly appreciated

I'm sorry you have having issues and imobilizer issues can be very nasty - you may be up for new ECU and the other bits if not careful.

I sold a Rover 75 after 10 months and lost $13,000 and consider myself lucky.

I guess the question in your mind is 'why didn't I buy an SLK or a Z3?'

Cheers mate. Yeah it sucks

I would have but I dont thing my girlfriend is worthy of a Z3 or SLK yet haha

This little MG cost me under half price of the cheapest Z3, But I ended up being ripped off :(

I hope I can get it up and running before she gets here. 5 days and counting