Sign in to follow this  
darkwolf

PCV Valve 1998 540i

As always - the background:

I own a 1998 540i with a M62B44. Would sell her my soul if she'd take it but she breaks my heart in half sometimes.

I was driving back from Hamilton after the V8s. As I drove through Bulls, I noticed that at lower RPM (almost under no load) it would squeal like a stuck pig and blow oil. Managed to nurse it to my repair shop (Courtesy Ford in Levin - for reasons I won't go into in this post).

Anyway initially I heard from the girl at reception that it was an intake valve causing this. I was extremely worried, as I would have had another 15 of these little buggers to eventually do the same thing if that was the case. Turns out that wasn't right - so I apologize to all of you out there that I might have told to check your intake valves. I wasn't in a fit state to think straight.

I have come to find out that it was the PCV valve. Which was all fine and dandy. Must've been as the squealing has stopped and I've been keeping a close eye on the oil which has been fine. It was a 3-4 hour job which is consistent with what I was told when I looked into fixing the Mazda (turns out the Mazda's was at the front on the transverse mounted V6 - took about an hour.)

What I want to know is: I replaced the PCV valve on my Mazda MS-6 which was a 1.8l V6, and it was a little thing about the size of my thumb. What I was shown was a big black plastic thing about the size of my hand span - maybe bigger.

Have I missed something, on my engine does the PCV valve come as part of another unit?

Is there something about V engines and not liking them?

Should I be worried now that its fixed i.e. is it likely to have done any extra damage to other components that I should worry about?

Is it common?

I should probably mention I had a heater hose let go around the area the valve was removed from, which may or may not have been a contributing factor. Or the careless little so&sos who broke my radiator bleed valve (and thought I wouldn't notice) when fixing my heater problem may have caused damage to it too.

Its common on cars over 5 years old. The rubber diaphram goes in them and its not as easy as a Mazda. Did they show you the part ???( oops yes they did ) Its nearly as big as an air flow meter. If its fixed properly, have no fear.

Edited by *Glenn*

Yeah they showed me the part. I'm concerned that I may not have understood exactly what he replaced. An air flow meter to me in very small too, about the size of my thumb again. This part wasn't it was as big as my hand. It was mainly about .5" thick and about 6" x 6" wide.

Yeah they showed me the part. I'm concerned that I may not have understood exactly what he replaced. An air flow meter to me in very small too, about the size of my thumb again. This part wasn't it was as big as my hand. It was mainly about .5" thick and about 6" x 6" wide.

Thats it... we do a few every month Edited by *Glenn*

Oh. Sweet then. Now my mind can go to rest for a while.

Thanks.

Oh. Sweet then. Now my mind can go to rest for a while.

Thanks.

Enjoy your "beast"

I had a strange noise in my E36 M44

When driving it would squeal and the idle was erratic and when turning off engine it sounded like the car gave a deep sigh as though it was happy to be turned off :D

Paid some one to repair. By the way I had a reputle BMW enthusiast check the car with the proper diagnostic gear and was told the ozy sensor was the problem for the rough idle. Didn't fix it so sent the car to Graig Gilbert Motors and within 2 seconds the mechanic said the problem was the PCV valve. They ordered a new one and fitted in about an hour or so, dont really know coz I work night shift (the job sheet said 1.2 hours) and they gave me a courtesy car (fugin ugly Toymotor)

Yes I still go to the same place for all my repairs. There is no substute for a genuine mechanic with experience.