Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

M40 Camshaft DIY?

Can anyone help me out here with a link to a DIY m40 camshaft swap, car isn't worth enough to get someone else to do it and I would really like to learn more about assembly/dissasembly of motors. Havn't touched this one bar new plugs, oil changes and rocker cover painting. Even a few step by step pointers would be appreciated if anyone has time to jot some up.

Have a new camshaft and cambelt, what else do I need parts wise to complete the job?

Any help is appreciated.

Wana have a go at tackling this maybe this weekend :)

Edited by Forrest

Cheers Cam, I have a Haynes manual.

I just have a new camshaft and cambelt.

What are followers? Excuse my noobness...and would I need a new tensioner?

The cam runs on rockers - you really should replace those as they are worn (or not) to match your old cam. However, people can/do change cams without changing them.

A new tensioner is a good idea. So is a new waterpump and thermostat while you're in there, and a gasket set... but costs can quickly blow out on this basis.

I'm not the right guy to ask (not enough experience) - I just hate seeing unanswered posts. FWIW, if/when I change the cam on the 2002, I will change rockers (partly motivated by trying to find better ones that won't break).

Offer Beer and Pizza to others to come help... They can kick back with a beer and tell you what you need to do. 

You get some company and guidance and they get free beer... best of both worlds...

You should be changing, cambelt, check tensioner & idlers, water pump, thermostat, camshaft, rocker arms, hydraulic lifters and replacing the sump gasket. Most M40 cams fail because of faulty sump gaskets. The oil pick up gallery for the oil pump is a part of the sump. Airated oil does not lubricate an engine properly and wont let the lifters pump up properly.

Finally some people help me, thanks Glenn and the rest

The Haines manual will help...but read it carefully. To do the job properly you will need 2 special tools. One to lock the flywheel at TDC..the other to set the camshaft correctly. Idle can be effected if these tools are not used. Alot do this job without them..however to do it correctly it should be done with these tools. Hope you have a good selection of tools.

A copy of TIS & ETK would help more. I have the discs if you would like a copy I can send them down if you will please return them

The Haines manual will help...but read it carefully. To do the job properly you will need 2 special tools. One to lock the flywheel at TDC..the other to set the camshaft correctly. Idle can be effected if these tools are not used. Alot do this job without them..however to do it correctly it should be done with these tools. Hope you have a good selection of tools.

Glenn is so right (of course) --> the M40 I have assisted with was bought in non-running condition after a cambelt swap gone wrong (miraculously no damage).