Sign in to follow this  
58rabbit

engine bay noise

My wifes '96 E36 323 coupe has started to whine. The best way I can describe it sounds like a supercharger whine. The first time I heard it I thought it was sucking air but I have since changed my mind. It is mainly when the engine is cold but driving home from a friends place last nite it went on for most of the drive home. I have tried to pinpoint where it is coming from and i think it may be either the drive belt itself or an alternator bearing (the rear bearing possibly) or the tensioner pulley. has anyone experienced the kind of noise before? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

my e46 does the same thing. i havent got round to fixing it yet. just turn your air con on and off and see if it does it only when its on. that would tell you it is the aircon pulley or clutch otherwise just get a big screw driver and probe around the different pulleys when its making the noise and use the screw driver like a stethoscope

Does it give a sigh of relief when you turn it off.

Sounded like my e36, was the PCV valve.

my e46 does the same thing. i havent got round to fixing it yet. just turn your air con on and off and see if it does it only when its on. that would tell you it is the aircon pulley or clutch otherwise just get a big screw driver and probe around the different pulleys when its making the noise and use the screw driver like a stethoscope

yeah i checked around with a screwdriver and its worst when i listen to the back bearing in the alternater. its not the air con 'cause we dont use it

Could be the front wheel bearing. had this issue on the coupe as well.

not a wheel bearing , its noisey when its not moving, cheers

Does it give a sigh of relief when you turn it off.

Sounded like my e36, was the PCV valve.

no nothing like that sound