Sign in to follow this  
allan

Boot access

Hi, have a warning coming up on the instrument cluster, check boot lip upon checking the lid it is secure. Also noticed the remote on the key and the button to open the boot doesn't work also, by drivers leg plus both the lights do not function either. Have checked the fuses in the glove box and right wheel arch area all seem ok. Is the problem with a connector, earth, boot lock solenoid or else where could some one guide me to where I need to look next. It's a 2002 e39 530i.

Cheers Allan

Extremely common problem: rubber surround on boot button jammed in. remove and reseat. Easy.

2nd common problem: solenoid and/or switch jammed

3rd common problem: wires broken inside flexible rubber grommet between body and boot lid

My Vote: Number 3.

To fix:

Take boot lining off

Unplug cable loom inside boot lid

Unplug rubber grommet between boot lid and body

Pull wires down from boot lid, so that you can access the flexible area, and inspect every wire for damage. Repair as necessary.

Test and reassemble.

Thank you Jochen for that will have a look.

Cheers

All fixed was No3 one severed brown wire and a grey/black one had some stripped plastic covering. Insulated the grey/black one, soldered the brown one plus insulated it and tested the rest.

Thank you jochen for your assistance

Cheers Allan

All fixed was No3 one severed brown wire and a grey/black one had some stripped plastic covering. Insulated the grey/black one, soldered the brown one plus insulated it and tested the rest.

Thank you jochen for your assistance

Cheers Allan

Happy to be of help and glad you found and fixed the problem.