Sign in to follow this  
58rabbit

engine noise update

Hi thanks for all the replys about the noise but I have investigated properly and found that it is the idler pulley attached to the front of the alternator. the bearing is very noisey but I took it out of the car and bathed it in crc and it is no longer noisey. I will put a new one in of course but now that I know what it is there is no urgency.

Hi thanks for all the replys about the noise but I have investigated properly and found that it is the idler pulley attached to the front of the alternator. the bearing is very noisey but I took it out of the car and bathed it in crc and it is no longer noisey. I will put a new one in of course but now that I know what it is there is no urgency.

Yes there is urgency... they disintergrate if left on in a worn condition. You'll end up with a mess of belts, broken fan blade and possibly a damaged radiator.

Edited by *Glenn*

If the bearing is designed to run with grease, CRC will do nothing but wash the grease out... Leading to a demo jobn of the bearing and whatever else it takes down with it.

Best get it seen to.

If the bearing is designed to run with grease, CRC will do nothing but wash the grease out... Leading to a demo jobn of the bearing and whatever else it takes down with it.

Best get it seen to.

I have just replaced mine. For under a hundred bucks get a new one bang it in and forget. Absolutely worse case scenario, and something I would try to avoid like the plague, is to see if you can clean it out as good as you can, repack it with grease as well as you can, put the noisiest part of the pulley on the unstressed side when bangin it back in and pray. You might get away with it if the noise has just appeared, but if its been squealing like a stuck pig for several months chances are its haddit.

But for the money it would be crazy. :unsure:

It is a beemer after all. Doing maintenance on a rangi budget will probably kick you later. :rolleyes: