Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Glenn a question for you.

Glenn i got a call from our BMW service agent today saying they cannot find anything wrong with my car.

They have checked all fuel line's and pressures and everything checks out ok, They have also updated the engine control software. (what would be in the update ??)

They are going to do a final cold start test on it tomorrow morning and if it starts ok then i get it back and monitor it i guess.

I dunno this has me a little stumped, Could you think of anything else it may have been why one minute its running fine and then 6 hours later i get in and its a no go.

Insurance company is not going to cover it either as nothing wrong can be found and its been classed as car was flooded.

Edited by presso

Thats a bit of a hard one... not being able to test the car or read fault codes or live data. The only thing I can think of is that it may have had low battery voltage... the starter would draw available current and not allow the rest of the systems to operate... I've had that happen a couple of times. How old is the battery and is it the right one for the car ??

Thats a bit of a hard one... not being able to test the car or read fault codes or live data. The only thing I can think of is that it may have had low battery voltage... the starter would draw available current and not allow the rest of the systems to operate... I've had that happen a couple of times. How old is the battery and is it the right one for the car ??

Battery was replaced by me when i got the car ( I always do that) so its only 7 months old and is the correct one for the car. Yup bit of a strange one, They said there are no fault codes at all and that all live data looks like what it should be.

Maybe it was just one of those i don't feel like running moments. Will be intresting to see if it starts ok for them this morning, Starting for it has never been a problem, one turn of the key and its an instant start it never turns over and over before starting or anything like that.

What update to the engine managment would they have done, Does it give me like a thousand more horses :rolleyes::lol:

Battery was replaced by me when i got the car ( I always do that) so its only 7 months old and is the correct one for the car. Yup bit of a strange one, They said there are no fault codes at all and that all live data looks like what it should be.

Maybe it was just one of those i don't feel like running moments. Will be intresting to see if it starts ok for them this morning, Starting for it has never been a problem, one turn of the key and its an instant start it never turns over and over before starting or anything like that.

What update to the engine managment would they have done, Does it give me like a thousand more horses :rolleyes::lol:

They probably just did a recode of the DME to make sure there are no software glitches

E36's are prone for getting water in the DME... do you park it outside or in the garage?

Was it raining heavy the day it happened ?

They probably just did a recode of the DME to make sure there are no software glitches

E36's are prone for getting water in the DME... do you park it outside or in the garage?

Was it raining heavy the day it happened ?

Nope my baby is always parked in a closed garage :) and weather had been fine.

Will see what happens today and update this post tonight

Nope my baby is always parked in a closed garage :) and weather had been fine.

Will see what happens today and update this post tonight

If it happens again ...I'd get them to check the DME for water / moisture and check that there are no dry solder joints on the circuit board... another problem that the older cars suffer from

If it happens again ...I'd get them to check the DME for water / moisture and check that there are no dry solder joints on the circuit board... another problem that the older cars suffer from

Got it back yesterday and it seems to be starting just like normal so who knows what it may have been will just have to monitor it. At least it came back all shiny and clean must admit they do a good job of there detailing and waxing. Expensive clean though at $360 ($75 for towage and $240 for labour on trying to find the problem and top it off with $30 for use of the bmw diagnostic equipment). Was hoping they would find something wrong so insurance would have covered it.