Sign in to follow this  
Sick Puppy

First ever BMW purchase- I'd like some help please!

Hi everyone, I've done something that is either a brilliant move or very, very stupid.

I won an auction for a 535 sport with the intention of repairing it and putting it back on the road. This is going to be my first Beemer, I’ve always wanted a 535, and some advice would be good right about now please. :)

I'm off tomorrow to check out how smart/ dumb I've been, and will have the ViN No and some pics. Immediate issues are:

*It has been deregistered;

*It failed a warrant of fitness on a broken headlight aligner and holed exhaust;

*It has rust in the front panel, passenger C pillar and passenger side rear wheel arch, amongst other places. Don’t know how major this is, although E34’s don’t tend to have rust problems [crosses fingers];

*It hasn't moved any significant distance in about a year;

*Oh, and did I mention I bought it without checking it over? I figured for $1500...

Right now, I know I definitely need:

Transporter- since it's deregistered, it will need to be transported from Kapiti to Wellie to get recomplianced & re-WoF'd. Are there any good transporters in the Wellie area? I've checked this thread, any other recommendations?

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=13239

Compliance check- It's dereg'ed, so needs to be re-vinned. I spoke to the mechanic I use (Brendons of Wellington), and he says he always gets headaches from both the AA and VTNZ. Does anyone have any experience with one or both of these outfits? Any recommendations of one over the other?

Mechanic- Brendons have put me right re: revinning etc, and so long as I source the parts, it shouldn't be a problem. I'll need:

*Check of car in general- engine, transmission/ LSD, brakes, steering & suspension, rust;

*full service- replacement of all filters and fluids, possibly radiator hoses too, checking over bushes/ brakes/ steering and suspension as well as required WoF/ compliance repairs;

I’ll have a better idea once I check it out tomorrow. Anything major about E34’s I should look for right now?

Parts- PM's will be on their way to the usual suspects! :D

Panelbeater- Replacement of front panel/ grille holder, check rust in other areas;

Any good panel beaters in the Wellie area? I’ve checked:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=4670

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=11202

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=20391

I’ve been using the search function, but things change, places open and close, get better or worse, hence my asking about these points again. Also, I’m a bit of a planner (much to my wife’s annoyance), and want to get the logistics sorted out before I jump in. Any assistance Bimmersporters can provide me would be much appreciated- thank you!

i have parts for e34's .

incl rad support ,front panel grills etc ,in different colours

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-216711007.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-216589020.htm

even have a v8 face lift front .

i use auto movements for long haul stuff

04-5760846

including red lather recaro sport interior .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-217028424.htm

my freind marty might have a parts car 535i with reg on hold

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

i have parts for e34's.[i/lots of other useful stuff here[/i]

I know you do- you're on my PM lists for parts, once I see the car. :D Thanks for the transporter no. BTW, the car is black!

dont bother with 'brent' for parts,he's expensive,call me

instead.he parks his treasures at my place.will do you a better deal :lol::lol:

dont bother with 'brent' for parts,he's expensive,call me

instead.he parks his treasures at my place.will do you a better deal :lol::lol:

yea yea . i have a black stuff too.

and i whole sale to marty so dont listen to him :wacko:

Porirua towing do that sorta stuff... So does highway recovery or whatever-they're-called in Paraparaumu.

He he i looked at that was the last bidder before you .i went down & looked at it. Major patch panels needed for rear ,new headlight /grille panel ,aligner required whole car has to be repainted ,it has rust holes in roof , headlinning ,sagged battery U/s . Estimate (including new panels by panelbeater At $4500 plus on road costs . i have mate panelbeater but would still be $2500-3000. Retail worth about $3500 $4000 fully restored . Not the sort of thing to buy on a blind . That car had been totally neglegted for years Good luck hope you got plenty of $$ ,I did my 635CSI 4years ago it wasnt as bad as that but still cost me $3000 to fix I did all the panel work & paint prep & it still cost $3000. Today its only worth $2500 I intended paying $1250 & could see you where dead set on it with auto bid to $1800

I'm off tomorrow to check out how smart/ dumb I've been, and will have the ViN No and some pics. Immediate issues are:

*It has been deregistered;

*It failed a warrant of fitness on a broken headlight aligner and holed exhaust;

*It has rust in the front panel, passenger C pillar and passenger side rear wheel arch, amongst other places. Don’t know how major this is, although E34’s don’t tend to have rust problems [crosses fingers];

*It hasn't moved any significant distance in about a year;

*Oh, and did I mention I bought it without checking it over? I figured for $1500...

Mate It wouldnt be worth it to fix it up. If a cars got rust then you will just keep finding more and more. Just buy a mint 535, there cheap as chips anyway.

Definately would of been worth swinging buy and having a gesser at that one before buying buy the sounds of it.

If you havent paid then welch on the deal and get bad feedback thats all, sounds like $600 worth to me.

Left sitting is terminal for cars really, such a shame.

if it is real bad , just buy another 525ia ,535ia body with stuffed auto or engine etc and swap the manual bits over etc .

probably can help with a good shell if needed

It wil be a UK car I bet.E 34 are largely galvanised,NZ new ones dont have rust issues...A nice 535is (manual) will prolly be 5-6 assuming its got all the stuff...)

+1 on Porirua City towing...hope the car rolls they will prolly bring a flat deck.If you want a thorough check of the car Page European.They have a couple of E34 at the mo,some kind of swap of parts is taking place

Edited by kiwi535

Page European.They have a couple of E34 at the mo,some kind of swap of parts is taking place

Is he the new one on Kapiti Road? thinking about going in for a Q&A session!

^ na page is in town just off kent tce, mt vic side. Behind GT nissan I believe.

Edited by tastic

Mike Page European Is in Kapiti Rd Paraparumu .,recently set up bisuness there . AS FOR THE 535 straight body shell would be best unless you can do repairs yourself . Even then it will cost more than its value unless you plan to use it for 3-4 years , which is what I did with my 635. Shows what happens when a guy gets c--t struck &chasing it around the world . ! less month & it could still have been put on the resto register

Mike Page European Is in Kapiti Rd Paraparumu .,recently set up bisuness there

Went hunting for it today when the weather was shite and in my car instead of my work truck. Might go visit oneday.

Was this the e34 on trademe? I think I saw the pics and thought "parts car". Hopefully, it isn't as bad as it sounds.

If you need a hand with anything in the kapiti region, just let me know.

Was this the e34 on trademe? I think I saw the pics and thought "parts car". Hopefully, it isn't as bad as it sounds.

If you need a hand with anything in the kapiti region, just let me know.

Thanks Blakamin, appreciated! :) Unfortunately it is, erm, not good. I'm not going to even attempt repairing the body, as there is rust from front to back, and there is probably more to come. I went for this as I've wanted a 535 for some time, I love a project (within reason!), and it went perfectly with my need for something safe to transport a family around. ;) Pity as it's a HD12...

I'm thinking right now it will be a donor car- the running gear looks alright, as does the interior (bar the door cards- poked) and the electrics work too. Looking at getting a shell and doing a transplant.

Alrighty then, the body is definitely stuffed, which leaves me with either transplant or back on trademe- anyone want some 535 motorsport parts? lol I'll link up the worst of the pics tomorrow, if only to show that E34's really can rust like a mofo... I reckon it's not worth salvaging.

The problem I've got with doing a transplant, is that the magic words of space, budget, tools and know how are things I don't have enough of yet! :( While I realise I have to be realistic about my chances, I really don't want to give up on this yet...

Has anyone done a total running gear swap over before? How long would it take to transfer the LSD/ trasmission/ engine/ wiring loom/ suspension as well as the interior from this car into another shell? What was the process used? e.g. which bits first, etc? I've had verbal quotes of $3-4k from a few of the BMW mechanics in town, I take it this is realistic?

Would a wiring loom from one 5 series fit straight into another? (e.g. 535 into a another 6 cyl. like 525 or 535) I remember that touring models have different looms to sedans, and somehow I doubt I could getaway with just swapping the ECU...

Any suggestions for looking for a 5 series shell (or one with broken engine) in the Wellington area? I'm figuring the wreckers yards, any other places?

Thanks in advance for the advice everyone!

Edited by Sick Puppy

Keep an eye out at Turners or Trade-me.

What I would suggest is trying to find a 535iA with a busted transmission - which are fairly common.

Basically they arent worth repairing - and that would give you a relately easy project.

I'm sure that Brent might be able to give you some pointers on the manual conversion of a E34

Personally I would only buy NZ new - and providing that the car hasn't had any dodgy accident repairs you should get a rust free car.

My old '88 535iA was brought off Trade-me 2 years ago for $1700, as a running unit that needed a few parts swapped to get a warrant - and a trans service.

I've seen a couple in Wellington sell on Trade-Me for the $500-$1000 mark.

The other place that you might want to try is Speciallised Auto parts in Upper Hutt, they werent going to buy any more E34's the last time I was up there (too old for commercial wrecking), so they might have a shell that they would be keen to get rid of.

Cheers Rxsumo, I'll give them a call. :)

Ironically enough, it was seeing your E34 for sale a few years ago that set my heart on getting one. They are great cars, I really hope I can get this one back on the road- or at least the go faster bits anyway! lol

give me a call if you like . have done it before .

also have a couple of options maybe in the body as well

I might still be interested in buying it (at right price ) way less than what you paid ,if you want to put it onTm again . i did thorough inspection of it &know exactly what is involved . amazing what can be done with mig i have seen worse just takes a lot of time, paint biggest expense.

I might still be interested in buying it (at right price ) way less than what you paid ,if you want to put it onTm again . i did thorough inspection of it &know exactly what is involved . amazing what can be done with mig i have seen worse just takes a lot of time, paint biggest expense.

Oh really? How much?

grand if it can be driven . I need another project get bored otherwise would be good stablemate for my 635 csi lol

grand if it can be driven . I need another project get bored otherwise would be good stablemate for my 635 csi lol

No thanks, I know I'll get more than that on Trademe- thanks for your 'offer' anyway :P

And so it begins, since I'm both stubborn and stupid enough to give it a crack, I'm going to see about a transplant.

If anyone needs me, I'll be lining up ducks... :P