Sign in to follow this  
darkwolf

Moving - North to South Island

As per the topic title I might be moving from Levin to Christchurch. I'm just looking at my options regarding moving my gear.

I don't have a hell of a lot of stuff and I have already done some searching myself. At present I am thinking of using a freight company i.e mainfreight and the likes to move my big items, queen bed, chest of drawers, desk and recliner. I figure most things will just fit nicely in the 540i.

How have other people done the shift. I guess it doesn't really matter which way round it worked N->S or S->N as you still have that standing body of water that gets directly in the way.

I did it with a one way trailer hire. One of those big covered in horsefloat looking things. Big cost for the trailer on the ferry tho. Same price as car but stil cheaper than transport company.

Moved my sister down here the same way but with a light truck and a car trailer. Bloody slow coming out of Blenheim and those tunnels on the coast are a suprise waiting for ya.

when you freight company,

take pictures of everything before hand, make sure you have a complete inventory.

make sure everything is secure(drawers taped up), dont label what is inside boxes.

try are wrap up everything.

make sure it is insured

check everything when you get it at the other end.

any freight company is decent. i have had alot to do with mainfreight. they are pretty good.

depending on the amount you could get it sent down by train( even the car) we have done that a few times.

had a car moved and packed it up with gear.

we sent a 47 international 1 ton pickup from auckand to timaru full of gear. it costed $400 on the train.

to give you a ruff guide on cost.

The train idea is cool. I hadn't looked into that. Any idea of cost for the car via freight?

using at tuck you will be paying lots, as you need to use a car transporter or a tuck that take trailers with car access.

unless you want them to use a forklift on your car. which isnt ideal.

The train idea is cool. I hadn't looked into that. Any idea of cost for the car via freight?

A BS member told me he shipped his 540 Ak to ChCh on the train for $500

I don't have a hell of a lot of stuff and I have already done some searching myself. At present I am thinking of using a freight company i.e mainfreight and the likes to move my big items, queen bed, chest of drawers, desk and recliner. I figure most things will just fit nicely in the 540i.

Not sure of the value of your stuff, but I found it made much more sense to sell my bulky items on TradeMe (bed, drawers, desk) when I was in Dunedin and buy new stuff in Auckland. Last time I checked, the cost of a moving company was eye watering.

Are you moving to a new job? Most half decent employers will give you a relocation allowance if you ask for it.

I bought a cf bedford jumbo with a decent reliable diesel engine transplant, and roof racks all for the price of an airfare back to oz for the old owner. Think along the lines of the Beverly hillbillies.. bed wrapped up in a few tarpaulins on the roof along with a dining table and I just had to put a chair up there. Filled the inside to the roof and stuffed as much as I could under the bed inside the van. Had to have somewhere to sleep on the journey.

Made an A-frame for the e34, they make good shopping trundlers and loaded it to the eyeballs. boot, backseat, front seats - Alf sellotaped to the steering wheel. And then off I went, there are some biiiiig hills between Chch and Auckland. But we made it. Planned all my traveling for late at night to get a good clear run. I had faith in the old bedford. Had made the return trip 3 times before without hiccup, but never towing a car before. I don't think I would have attempted it if the bedford wasn't a dual axle. Those extra wheels help with braking... :)

If you go this route I'll come for the adventure....

The most expensive part was the ferry crossing for 2 cars but would have had to pay twice nonetheless.

Not sure of the value of your stuff, but I found it made much more sense to sell my bulky items on TradeMe (bed, drawers, desk) when I was in Dunedin and buy new stuff in Auckland. Last time I checked, the cost of a moving company was eye watering.

Are you moving to a new job? Most half decent employers will give you a relocation allowance if you ask for it.

Yeah I've been looking down the sell and rebuy road.

I will talk to the new job about a relocation allowance, but I figured it is worthwhile looking at what is going to cost anyway. Rather than asking and then going "But I have no idea of the cost."

I bought a cf bedford jumbo...

Made an A-frame for the Bedford to be towed by the E34,

Slightly modified your idea. I'm sure my 540 would tow a bedford :P (bugger just realised I need a tow bar)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm pretty much sorted for costs - and suprisingly the cheapest option I've found because of the size of my gear is through Crown who quoted $600.

Edited by DarkWolf