Sign in to follow this  
volcanoblack

Floating Rotor for 300mm x 22mm E46

Hi All,

Is there a lightweight floating or 2-piece rotor available anywhere for the E46 (328) in size 300mm x 22mm?

I am upgrading from the E36 to E46 rotors and would like to save the extra weight gained by using the bigger E46 rotor.

I have searched most of the places and can find nothing like this.

Thanks.

Hi All,

Is there a lightweight floating or 2-piece rotor available anywhere for the E46 (328) in size 300mm x 22mm?

I am upgrading from the E36 to E46 rotors and would like to save the extra weight gained by using the bigger E46 rotor.

Thanks.

Have you weighed the difference between the stock 286 & 300mm rotor??

I don't think the difference would justify the expense of a 2pc rotor.

If you must though, Lee @ MASSIVE brakes has 300mm rotors & E36 hats on the shelf, but I'm pretty sure they won't work with stock calipers as the pad height is taller than the rotor surface. But see what he says.

Hi All,

Thanks.

Why ??? I see your driving a 325... unless its modified where is the need ? Fit some slotted Brembo's & OEM pads... thats all you need. Maybe braided lines if you must... but you will need a cert... the same with the brake mods you had in mind

Thanks for the reference E30-323ti, I'll contact them.

Glenn, I am going to do open track days at Ruapuna and simply wanted a bit cooler brakes and a bit better stopping power by using the larger rotors. I will need to put on new rotors at an upcoming WOF and the E46 300x22 rotor is an easy bolt on.

I also drive the Takaka Hill about once a month and work the brakes hard on the 10km downhill on each side. All I want is a bit more peace of mind by having cooler brakes and was trying to stay on the most economical side of doing things. (please no comments about my driving - I do not go over the speed limit, and I do not cross the centre line)

From what I can find out online, the stock E46 (328) rotor is about 2 lbs heavier than the E36 I have. I was hoping to keep the unsprung weight down when doing this upgrade.

If I can't find all the pieces at a reasonable price, I'll probably just go to the dealer and buy stock BMW rotors and pads.

Glenn, I like your Porsche calipers - I had a set of Boxster calipers for my '93 Audi Quattro V8 with custom made brackets (when living in the US). How are yours mounted? Is anyone making brackets for this application?

Cheers

Have you weighed the difference between the stock 286 & 300mm rotor??

I don't think the difference would justify the expense of a 2pc rotor.

If you must though, Lee @ MASSIVE brakes has 300mm rotors & E36 hats on the shelf, but I'm pretty sure they won't work with stock calipers as the pad height is taller than the rotor surface. But see what he says.

Tried Massive brakes and they only have 300mm x 31mm two-piece rotors for the 4-lug e30.

Anyone else know of 300 x 22 floating or two piece rotors?

Tried Massive brakes and they only have 300mm x 31mm two-piece rotors for the 4-lug e30.

Try Wilwoods they have alloy hats and steel rotors [ ph 0800 CARDWELL ]

and they're cheap [ compared to hitting a wall ]

Do not use Race Pads on the street, they require a lot of heat to work properly

on hillclimb events you are better off with street pads because the brakes are usually cold,except for the final stop [even a drum brake Viva can lock the wheels up! "once"]

Look under the E30 M3 for the 300x32mm rotors, then the E36 for the hats with the correct offset.

IIRC the E36 & E30 M3 share the same caliper mount offset & bolt spacing, so you can probably use the E30 M3 stuff Lee sells (Wilwood superlite calipers). Best to email Lee directly & discuss.

If you want a setup outside the square, you need to think outside the square!!!

I don't 100% agree with Kerry re: Pads.

I have Pagid race pads (RS4-4) in my E30 and don't mind them when they are cold, they don't have the initial cold bite of a street pads but have plenty of stopping power (nothing compared to when they are hot though :) ).