Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

e30 front park/low/high and indicator problems.

Hello,

The car: 86 325i coupe !FIXED thanks to hotwire!

The issues: Front

Lights off - indicators work fine sometimes the left middle stops because of a dirty conection.

Park Lights on - they work fine both sides :) but if i turn on the indicators the park lights flash as well.

Low beam on - they dont work and i hear a click from the fuse box when i change. Park lights and indicators seem to get some power because they are faintly turned on.

High beam - they dont work either, the dash lights up and so does the indicators slightly.

Fog lights - they dont work, the dash light does.

And this really confuses me the horn wires on the wheel make the dash indicator and high beam lights flash on?

Rear lights all work fine.

I have replaced the bulbs with working ones from another e30 and checked the fuses and swapped relays.

All i can assume is somewhere they are connecting but if someone knows of a similar fault and can point in the right direction. I have a multimeter but not sure how to go about isolating this with the many variables.

Cheers, just for reading this.

Edited by tcbaurpower

Its a bad/ no earth somewhere. Cant remember where earth points are off hand but check for brown wires connecting to body - under the bonnet

Hello,

The ground was not connecting because it had been painted over. I assumed it would have enough contact on the bolt tread but apparently not. I scrapped the paint of and what do you know it worked.

I cant beleive it was so easy but at the same time i am glad it is sorted quickly.

Cheers,

Adam

Good on you - glad you sorted it :)