Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

Who is a LSD guru?

Thanks for the insite into this... I've only picked up what I found from my own experiences with LSDs and suspension setup.

I can tell you how to tune an e46 properly and what works for road and what doesnt if thats any help haha ... to be honest I haven't had enough time behind the wheel of the e30 to really go into the inner balance of it with people. At the moment however .. the suspension setup is pretty bang on .. except for the sway bar side of things.

anyways .. back on topic for me :)

the BMW diffs are only 25 percent.they are in my limited experience(e34 535) good at low speed,tight turns,slippery surface aid...I dont drive hard/fast/often enough to analysse what difference it makes in my 535.I get a sense that my car has tremendous rear wheel grip,and the lsd is part of that.

how do you find it at that ?

The e30 is running a standard 3.14 LSD from an m-coupe. with the standard m20b25 in it .. its pretty sh*t as I think the m20 just aint got enough power to lock up properly when needed? However once the s50b32 is in (what the diff is use too) it will be fine on the road for 'performance' driving .. and it being raced I'm expecting its not going to be a happy diff.

I talked to Kayne Barrie and he seemed to think that it would be fine for racing. Even on advice from others it wouldnt .. bit confused now as to what to do about it ...

Will deal with it when the time comes however I guess.

thats an awfully high ratio for track use isnt it?

^^^ for a M20 and standard box, not really for a S50 with 1:1 5th (but they're not using the OD 6th box if I remember right)

At 6000 RPM with a 24-1/2inch diameter tyre [620mm] and a 3.14:1 overall ratio [ 1:1 5th ] = 139 mph [ 223 k's ]

Thats a good "Puke" ratio

6000 RPM is a hard ask in top [ it should go easily to 7000 RPM thru the gears ]

Quote [ of the week ] " Keep it near the limiter when shifting, that way you can't over-rev it if you miss a gear "

Has an s50b32 and ZF 5 speed bolted to it instead which will be pretty good .. maybe go a little higher but thats a tuning thing once its actually on the road.

Currently running the m20b25 with getrage 260 + 3.14 air cooled diff. 1st gear is like second at the moment :D

Currently running the m20b25 with getrage 260 + 3.14 air cooled diff. 1st gear is like second at the moment :D

Land speed record candidate!

kiwi535, I've just stumbled over this and apologize if I gave you a bum steer on this I may have misunderstood what you were asking? 3.15 ratio (std m3 ratio) is way tall and only any good for jaming a toilet door open!

power wise that diff will be fine, can have the ratio changed easy too, with 1:1 top on 17ish inch tyres you will want to be on 3.64 with a s50 (Aaron Harris has this set-up).

I'm happy to answer any questions on this but I keep getting spam rubbish sent to my email from this site so I don't get the messages anymore, so I will keep an eye on this topic (and because I'm interested too), Kayne Barrie