Sign in to follow this  
humz

Want to lower my 1986 p/f 318

Hey guys

Im wanting to lower my e30 1986 318 pre face model. I've searched around in our forum and looked at a few posted messages, but the info is mainly for the face lift models, due to there back guards been lower than the pre face model..

I was going to put some bilstien coil overs in, but apparently i have to do some major adjustments to the back strut towers.. is that true?? (keeping in mind that im only using it for personal use)

I also purchased aye camber kit from ireland engineering to correct the camber when i lower the car, i havent put the kit on yet until i sort my suspension out..

Would super lows put my back guard just under the wheel?? Help please..

if so what brands of spring would be the best?? Im putting bili shorten shocks in reguard less

HELP Please

Humz

Guest FrantiC

I would't get coil overs for personal use / stock 318i..

Superlows will get you some wheel tuck. Camber in rear is unadjustable, being low has it's down side (chew through tyres real quick). Unless you get a weld in eccentric adjustment kit for the rear. Wouldn't bother though. Front isn't bad with camber when low.

Best option would be to get some low springs and some shortened shocks and some rear camber adjusters, There is a bolt on camber kit for the rear but cant remember what crowd is making them. Theres not much point spending the money on coil overs there probably more expensive than the car is and for general road use there no real need.

Search the Bimmer sport Member names, and look for "SUSPENSION" He is the lowering guru on these forums and can probably show you a few options.

What size wheels have you got mate? If you havnt got 17s or 18s you wil have a tough time getting the wheel under the guard, you will easily get tyre.. but not rim. Because the p/fl have higher arches than the fl.

Nice guys thanks for the fast replies, really helpful..

(Sorry for the typing error) I have the eccentric weld slotted washers from ireland engineering california which should help with the inside ware

I have 17" mags, and bilstein shortened shocks( they ant in the car as of yet till i get the right recipe haha)

ive also sent aye message to 'suspension'

Also any ideas on spring bands and would super lows would do the trick??

Edited by humz

If you have messaged Keith you probably wont get a reply, best to ring him. 021378902

ive also sent A message to 'suspension'

fixed

The King Springs the series race cars use should get you your goal, and are decently stiff - for pics of the cars try here:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=21506

The rears are normal King super low's, I think. The fronts are race series specific.

Will that also give me comfort mate ? or just firmness..

but very keen on having that low tuff aggressive look.. haha

No its kinda stiff. Stiff is good, bouncy is not. Soft and low is bad in my book. Worst of both worlds - scrape on everything.

Nice one brav!

Thanks for that handy info, i fully agree stiff is way better than bouncy!!..

Oh had aye talk to keith, mate aye very helpful and wise man.. great integrity keith thanks!!

Guys thanks heaps with your guidance, it's given me confidence in area's i didn't think i could achieve what i wanted..

I will post pictures when job is completed...

Humz :rolleyes: