Sign in to follow this  
Tomo

Idiots on the bridge

Tomo - that's a little bit alarmist don't you think? If one illegal protest = anarchy, then we'd have been f**ked years ago. Maybe you're not old enough to remember protests of yore? (Anti-vietnam, anti-nuclear, anti-apartheid??? and more.)

PS: I know I'm sounding rather pro-protest. I'm not. Half the time protests are just whinging buggers with nothing better to do.

I'm just pro getting off your arse and making a fuss for a change.

Plus its not a bad topic for a debate on a Monday at work. :P

Would it be a bigger can of heated worms if i was to start bitching about todays protest and the reasons behind it?

What benefit is there really??

OTHER than people being able to cycle to work from the shore? The harbour bridge is only really jam packed during peak hours morning and afternoon.

I really don't think taking 2000 cars off the road during these hours is going to help congestion. (assuming EVERY one of those protesters will ride a bike to work EVERY day)

I see it more as a novelty.. "Ooooh I walked across the harbour bridge".. Whoopty f**k. Pay the $150 for the Harbour bridge walk, and walk on it. You're only really going to do it once anyway.

Tomo - that's a little bit alarmist don't you think?

Ok so anarchy is a little strong, guess i just don't like the lycra brigade getting self righteous over something small like that and blowing it way out of proportion- like others say, I imagine most people like the novelty rather than the idea as a feasible transport solution. If they're that determined to cycle to the city they can go coatesville- riverhead- massey- pt. chev. They'd get bloody fit that way. Just stay off the motorways- the bridge is for cars, it's always been that way, and it's the law.

Ok so anarchy is a little strong, guess i just don't like the lycra brigade getting self righteous over something small like that and blowing it way out of proportion- like others say, I imagine most people like the novelty rather than the idea as a feasible transport solution. If they're that determined to cycle to the city they can go coatesville- riverhead- massey- pt. chev. They'd get bloody fit that way. Just stay off the motorways- the bridge is for cars, it's always been that way, and it's the law.

I would probably cycle to work if it was there as it's not really all that far... but i'm not going to protest about it... It's just more evidence of NZ's STUPID FORWARD PLANNING... 

i still think back to the US Army saying basically we are bored shitless here, lets build a 4 lane motorway the length of the country for ya... 

NZ IDIOT: Nah she'll be right mate... 

NZ = ID 10 T error... 

nother example of the way our Police bow down to every half assed protest group that seeks attention. Wonder how the protestors would go if they tried such a stunt in say France. What we need are water cannons, that would clear the road in a rush

nother example of the way our Police bow down to every half assed protest group that seeks attention. Wonder how the protestors would go if they tried such a stunt in say France. What we need are water cannons, that would clear the road in a rush

Hopefully wash those wankers over the side too.

I rarely use the bridge. But what this protest has shown is that it is relatively easy to shut down the bridge and make headlines for your cause with as little as 2000 people. Will we now see this happening more often?

Efforts should be made to deter protesters from using the bridge in this way. Efforts should also be made to deter spandex monkeys from riding on Highways too imo.

Edited by driftit

what those protested failed to realise that, their protest had rather dire consequences. A tanker carring LOX, required desperately by north shore hospital was stuck in traffic for 5 hours.Thate the only one that i know of. im sure there was other things like ambo's need to get where they are required.

the cops should have charged eveyone of them. civil disobedience is still a crime.

protesting is fine. but there is a time and a place. Parliment has got large steps, so go there.

if your cause is worthy enough and if enough people are support it, then you will still get your 2min of fame.

Edited by Cress

NZ's largest protest in recent times was one in Christchurch, protesting against the disbandment of the Air Force Skyhwaks. Just before the disbandment.

A much worthier cause, and what did that acheive NOTHING.

i think its about time we started crushing the bicycles of people who cant follow the road rules

i think its about time we started crushing the bicycles of people who cant follow the road rules

:lol:

Love it!